Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I group many songs into one album

I have grouped a number of songs into a fictitious album that I have named. I have selected a JPEG as the album art.

How can I make this appear as one album in iTunes? I've tried options with the "part of a compilation" checked and unchecked. Under "get info" I have made sure that the "album" name is the same for all songs. I have forced information like track 1 of * for several songs. I can't get anything to work for iTunes to show my compilation as a single album. Is this possible?

Posted on Mar 7, 2016 9:28 PM

5 replies

Mar 8, 2016 12:28 AM in response to lbeck

Although it's unorthodox, it is possible, assuming that none of the songs are write protected.

As you suggest, the album name needs to be the same and one way of ensuring that is to copy your chosen title from one song to all the rest, thereby eliminating typing errors. Assuming there are different artists for some or all of the songs, the Album Artist field needs to have "Various Artists" in it and the Part Of A Compilation needs to be set as "Yes".

This will of course remove those songs form any current album that they are on. Is this what you intend?

Mar 8, 2016 6:26 AM in response to the fiend

I believe that I've done all that you suggest. Still no joy. The screenshots attached show the info.

One item in your reply states "unless they are write protected" and I don't understand that. If you mean copyright protection I'm sure that every song in the "my music" category (not purchased through iTunes) is copyright protected. I've been recording music from LPs/CDs since the '70s and I have lots of cassettes to prove it 🙂. Are you saying that iTunes won't compile copyrighted material?User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mar 8, 2016 6:22 PM in response to lbeck

"Write protected" here means that the files on your computer can't be modified or updated (determined by settings in Windows) - nothing to do with copyright.

To make your selections appear as one album then one or both of the following need to be true:

• all tracks have the same value for Album and the same value for Album Artist
  • all tracks have the same value for Album and the "Album is a compilation ..." flag is checked.

From your screenshot it seems that you have the individual artists' names in the Album Artist field - I'd suggest changing this so that the value is "Various Artists" or similar - the important thing is that this value needs to be the same for all the tracks that you're trying to put into one "album".

If Album / Album Artist / Album is a compilation ... appear to be set correctly but tracks still won't group as expected:

• select all songs that should be part of one album
  • right-click > Get Info, append a "dummy character" to the Album value (e.g., change "Josh Turner Radio" to "Josh Turner RadioX")
  • click OK - tracks should now group correctly
  • repeat the edit to remove the dummy character - grouping should be preserved.

I'm not sure, though, why you're using the approach - creating a playlist is much easier and more flexible, as well as leaving the original metadata and grouping into albums unchanged,

Mar 8, 2016 6:21 PM in response to lbeck

As mentioned by myself and hhgttg27, the Album Artist must say Various Artists, but in your screenshot, it shows Daryl Worley, who is only one of the artists and Brad Paisley as another artist in the other screenshot. For a compilation album, the artist is in the Artist field, while Various Artists is in the Album Artist field.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Also as hhgttg says, it would be far easier to simply put all these songs into a Playlist. Then you wouldn't have to spend time changing the Album or the Album Artist metadata. You can't (of course) add one piece of artwork to a Playlist, but it seems like a lot of work changing all the album titles etc. just to add unique artwork to all of a Playlist, when those songs retain their original artwork even when in a Playlist.

How can I group many songs into one album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.