Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i remove or merge duplicate contacts at icloud

Somehow I have duplicates of nearly all of my contacts that say:

"This contact information was synchronized from Exchange. If you want to change the contact information, please open OWA and make your changes there."

Is there a way to delete or merge duplicates?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 4:11 AM

Are you sure they are duplicates in the same account and not just the same contacts in 2 accounts.

11 replies

May 2, 2016 7:54 AM in response to Eric Root

I bought a new macbook pro and set up and now my contacts are duplicated on all devices and in icloud. I have keep searching for solutions to resolve duplicates in icloud as the thread says to do, and the same link keeps coming up which links to the same link without the solution.

Please provide the step by step solution to correct, as I cannot find the instructions anywhere.

May 2, 2016 12:55 PM in response to Bill724

Apple support article.

If you see duplicate contacts after setting

up iCloud Contacts

Follow these steps if you see duplicate contacts on your Mac, or PC after setting up iCloud Contacts.

Before you begin

• If you see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com, visit iCloud Support for help.
  • If you see duplicate contacts only on your computer and not on iCloud.com, follow the steps below.

User uploaded file

Remove duplicate contacts

Follow the steps for your operating system.

OS X

1. Make a copy of your contacts.
  2. Open Contacts.
  3. From the Card menu, select Card > Look for Duplicates.
  4. When asked, click Merge.
  5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until no duplicates are found.
  6. Make another copy of your iCloud Contacts.

Outlook

Visit these Microsoft articles for help:

This document will be updated as more information becomes available.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet

May 2, 2016 1:04 PM in response to Eric Root

I have already read this multiple times and clicked all the links. It does not give a step by step solution. It only addresses removing duplicates from OS X, not iCloud. The Icloud link just forwards to this same string in discussions and this string does not give a step by step for resolving duplicates in ICLOUD. It outlines that the solution must be resolved in iCloud, but does not say how to resolve it. It is an endless circle like looking in to two mirrors and seeing into infinity. Either step by step solution, or a link to an actual posting with a step by step solution is required.

Jun 4, 2016 2:42 PM in response to Bill724

I have exactly the same problem and have been going in exactly the same circle following the Apple support suggestions. All of my contacts and groups are duplicated in iCloud, on iPhone, and on my MacbookAir. I do not have any contacts under "On My Mac," the duplicates are all on iCloud. Haven't been able to find any solution to this at all.

Jun 13, 2016 9:30 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric, If you cannot help here please say so. I am also having a problem with duplicated contacts and am trying to find a way to dedup. I am very familiar with Apple's "feature" of bringing contacts in from just about everywhere and assigning them to groups which will make them show up as duplicates if there are minor differences in the contact record. These are not actually duplicates but simply the same Contact listed in several different groups at the same time. A frustrating part of iOS is that there does not appear to be a clear way to determine what group a Contact is assigned to.

What I think the OP is asking about is a way to go through their Contacts and remove true duplicates. The best way is to show duplicated or even similar contacts side by side, also showing the Group it is assigned to, and allowing the user to either leave as-is or merge information across true duplicates to end up with one Contact record with the most complete and accurate Contact record.

If anyone out there knows how to do this in iOS and/or iCloud that would be great. Alternatively, if there are some good 3rd party apps for this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2016 6:31 AM in response to Chustle

try to use the Duplicate merging feature. As it is likely to fail, please note of my next response as your emergency measure...

Better safe than sorry...

iMac or Macbooks will try to duplicate and merge and 2 serious problems happens after...

1. Entries get mixed up.

2. You lose all your contacts except for a few.

How to recover from the damage Apple inflicts on your contacts:

1. Local memory - Quickly go to your iPhone or iPad ( assuming you have one ).

go to Settings - iCloud - turn off Contacts ( this should save your contacts in your phone memory now )

try to recreate your contacts from this local memory version of your Contacts.

2. Restore - go to iCloud on the web and restore your Contacts to a last known archive.

If you accidentally deleted your calendars, reminders, or contacts from iCloud - Apple Support

Never use the duplicate feature again. And write to Apple to complain.

how do i remove or merge duplicate contacts at icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.