Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Main@L4 Level encoding

How can I make a compressor preset (for using inside of FCPX) that generates an mpg4 file with .mp4 extension and is encoded with Main@L4 level encoding. A client needs that specific level for their intranet.

Inside the mpg4 Vides Settings I find a droptdown "H.264 profile" that lets me select High, Main and Baseline bit nowhere can I find a "Level4" setting.

When I analyse the file using MediaInfo it says Main@L2.1

I have tried using the X.264 encoder and I have found a setting there that says H.264 Level and set ist to "Level 4.0 4SVGA/1080HD@60i30p 20Mbps"

When I analyse this file with MediaInfo I get High@L2.1 still.

With handbrake I can get the desired Level 4, but it would be much more convienient to be able to export straight from FCPX without exporting a ProRes master first.

Thanks for your help.

Florian

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 32GB Ram, Dual D700 Graphics

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 6:40 AM

3 replies

Mar 10, 2016 12:39 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks for trying that out!

If I encode 1920x1080, yes, I also get L4 or L4.1 depending on the codec settings, but my mpg4 deliverable has to be only 560x316 pixels. With the exact same encoding settings that generate L4 at 1920x1080 I get L2 with 560x316.

It seems Apples mpg4 encoder chooses the Level automatically depending on resolution.

Interesting find, but does not bring me closer to a solution.

cheers

Florian

Main@L4 Level encoding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.