Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Captian is not installed on the SSD part of the fusion drive after internet recovery

I found that my Mac OS X El Captian is installed on the hard drive part of the 1TB fusion drive rather than the SSD drive part after the internet recovery installation.

And the SSD part of the fusion drive seems to be "unmounted" ...

May I ask if this is correct?

I saw on the following article that recovery installation will automatically take care of fusion drive and put the system files on the Flash storage part of the drive:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412726,00.asp

If my drive information shown below is not correct, should I do the following:

1. partition the SSD part of the fusion drive and

2. mount it and

3. repeat the internet recovery to install the OS X on this SSD part rather than the hard drive part of my 1TB drive

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Images of the my hard drive status is shown below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 10:01 AM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2016 10:41 AM in response to oatcracker

... also, I found that there are 2 Macintosh HD showing on startup. If I choose the 1st one, a forbidden logo will appear after a while and the computer will just froze there. Only when I choose the 2nd Macintosh HD can I login into the OS correctly...

Shouldn't there be only one Macintosh HD image to choose during startup?

Urgent help is needed ...!

Thank you!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 8, 2016 11:01 AM in response to oatcracker

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

{ diskutil list; echo; diskutil cs list; } | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Mar 8, 2016 11:14 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you very much, Linc!

Here's the output of the test command:

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme 24.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 23.6 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 999.3 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group BF234F78-B5A9-422B-B2DE-D8438E7FEE51

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 23553724416 B (23.6 GB)

Free Space: -none-

|

+-< Physical Volume 035B287B-1012-492D-895B-FAAB03FBD5C2

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Checking

| Size: 23553724416 B (23.6 GB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 04E3AEE4-D407-475A-BE2A-E3E516149D02

----------------------------------------------------

(No properties)

Mar 8, 2016 11:56 AM in response to oatcracker

Apple has not provided an easy way to recover from this condition. Please read this whole message before doing anything. If you don't feel confident that you can follow the instructions, get someone more experienced to help you. One option is to make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

This procedure applies only to an iMac or Mac mini with a factory-installed Fusion Drive. If either of the internal drives (an SSD and a hard drive) has been replaced with an aftermarket drive, ask for other instructions.

You'll need to refer to these instructions while no web browser is running, so either print them or load them on another device before you begin.

1. All data on the internal drives will be removed, including Boot Camp data, which is not backed up by Time Machine. You need at least two complete, independent backups. One backup is not enough to be safe. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

2. Disconnect all external storage devices.

3. You'll need to start up from a Recovery system other than the one on the internal hard drive (if it has one.) There are several ways to do that.

a. If you have a local Time Machine backup (not a network backup), or a compatible installation of OS X on an external drive, then you should be able to start from it by holding down the option key at the startup chime. Select the external drive in the row of icons that appears. By "compatible," I mean an installation that can run on the machine. A version of OS X that is older than the machine is not compatible.

b. If you used Recovery Disk Assistant (or can use it now) to prepare a Recovery system on a USB flash drive, you can start from that by holding down the C key at the chime. No icons will appear. Startup will be much slower than usual.

c. Start up in Internet Recovery mode by holding down the key combination command-option-R at the startup chime. Release the keys when you see a spinning globe. Select a language, if prompted.

Note: You need an always-on Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to use the network features of Recovery. It won’t work with USB or PPPoE modems, or with proxy servers, or with networks that require a certificate for authentication.

4. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. Safari will launch. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your bookmarks or history, but you won't need them. Load this web page.

5. Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

diskutil cs deleteLVG `diskutil cs list | awk 'NR==3{print $NF}'`

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Quit Safari. You'll be returned to the OS X Utilities screen.

6. From the menu bar, select

Utilities Terminal

The Terminal application will launch. Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. Wait for a new line ending in a hash sign (#) to appear. If nothing happens, press the return key.

Quit Terminal to be returned to the main screen.

What happens next depends on what version of Recovery you're running.

☞ If the machine came with OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), 10.9 ("Mavericks"), or 10.8 ("Mountain Lion"), and you're in Internet Recovery, please take Step 7a and skip Step 7b.

☞ Otherwise, skip Step 7a and go to Step 7b.

If you don't know what version of OS X the machine came with, look it up on this page.

After taking whichever of those steps is applicable, you should have an empty Fusion Drive named "Macintosh HD" on which you can carry out either Step 8a or Step 8b.

7a. Repair the Fusion Drive (see under "Troubleshooting" on the linked page.) Quit Disk Utility.

7b. Enter the command below as in Steps 4-6:

N=Macintosh\ HD; for d in /dev/disk?; do o=`diskutil info $d`; [[ ! "$SSD" ]] && grep -lqw 'APPLE SSD' <<< "$o" && SSD=$d; [[ ! "$HDD" ]] && grep -lqw 'APPLE HDD' <<< "$o" && HDD=$d; [[ "$SSD" && "$HDD" ]] && break; done; diskutil cs create "$N" $SSD $HDD && diskutil cs createLV "$N" jhfs+ "$N" 100%

This is a very long line, and you may not see all of it on the web page. Be sure to select the whole line, not just the part you can see.

Quit Terminal.

8a. If you have a Time Machine backup, connect the backup device and restore your data. If you backed up to a network device such as a Time Capsule, it should be connected automatically.

8b. If you don't have a Time Machine backup, or if you can't restore from the Time Machine backup that you do have, install OS X. Restore the data afterwards in Migration Assistant.

In Internet Recovery mode, you'll be installing the original version of OS X that shipped with the machine. If you've upgraded the OS in the App Store, you'll need to do that again.

Mar 8, 2016 6:16 PM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Linc, thank you very much for your very detailed advice!

I noticed that you provide similar suggestions in the following post:

need to rest fusion drive to its original

The only difference is that there is an additional Step 5 other than Step 7b in your reply to my post above.

May I ask if this is because my problem is different from the other post you advised?

Looking forward to your advice!

Thanks again!

Mar 8, 2016 6:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

Noted with many thanks, Linc!

I'll try your suggestion accordingly when I am home later.

Meanwhile, I wonder, if it's not too troublesome, whether you can explain a bit more on:

1. the nature of the problem I have and

2. the mechanism of your solution to solve this problem, and also

3. what to pay attention in order to prevent this from happening again in the future

I think your advice will definitely benefit the user community if this is a reoccurring problem for fusion drive equipped Mac!

Thank you very much!

Mar 9, 2016 9:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Linc,

I'm glad to inform you that I have solved the problem following your advice!

Please see the images of the status of my fusion drive after the OS repair installation shown below.

Now I have only one Macintosh HD showing on the startup window.

May I confirm it with you that the disk information is now correct?

One strange thing is that the file size for "photos, audio, movies and other" is not zero after the clean system recovery (see the last image). May I ask why there are these types of files on my computer?

Thank you very much for the very critical help!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

El Captian is not installed on the SSD part of the fusion drive after internet recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.