Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery partition required?! (Find My Mac)

Hello when I try to turn on find my mac I see this..User uploaded file

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it? I am running the most recent vs of El Capitan on a Late 2011 Macbook Pro. Any help to save me a trip to the store is much appreciated.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 3:23 PM

Hi Jay,

First, is your Mac a Mac Pro or a Macbook Pro and is it under warranty? If you go to the Apple logo at top left, select About this Mac / System report / Hardware you will find Model identifier.

Beginning with the OS X 10.7 Lion, there has been a Recovery partition in the OS.

To see this, disconnect any external drives and open the Terminal app, which is in Utilities. To get there, click on your desktop, which takes you to Finder, then on Go in the top menu bar, then Utilities. When you open Terminal, type or paste in Diskutil list (just like that and with a space between the words) and a list will appear of all disks and partitions on you Mac. There should be one called Apple_Boot Recovery HD there.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2016 3:23 PM in response to Jay3000

Hi Jay,

First, is your Mac a Mac Pro or a Macbook Pro and is it under warranty? If you go to the Apple logo at top left, select About this Mac / System report / Hardware you will find Model identifier.

Beginning with the OS X 10.7 Lion, there has been a Recovery partition in the OS.

To see this, disconnect any external drives and open the Terminal app, which is in Utilities. To get there, click on your desktop, which takes you to Finder, then on Go in the top menu bar, then Utilities. When you open Terminal, type or paste in Diskutil list (just like that and with a space between the words) and a list will appear of all disks and partitions on you Mac. There should be one called Apple_Boot Recovery HD there.

Jun 7, 2017 10:41 AM in response to Jay3000

I solved this problem in a rather unconventional way:

I had this problem after I installed two OSX version on my internal disk: One with 10.10 and one with 10.12. When booting into 10.12, "Find My Mac" would not work due to "Recovery partition required".

Using Terminal, along with "diskutil list" and "diskutil mount ..." to mount the recovery partition it listed, I looked into the "SystemVersion.plist" file of the now-mounted "Recovery HD" and realized that the recovery disk was for 10.10, not for 10.12, and that was the culprit.

So the task was to install a recovery partition specifically for 10.12. Since I had another Mac with 10.12 installed, I copied the recovery partition from that disk, using the free program iBored (of which I am the author), and then wrote it over the outdated 10.10 recovery partition. After a reboot, I was finally able to use "Find My Mac".

I admit that doing what I did requires quite a good understanding of how disks and blocks and partitions work. Otherwise, you either won't get far, or may even damage you disk's data if you happen to overwrite the wrong blocks.

But still, I wanted to leave this note here for others who want to troubleshoot this and understand what I am talking about. Good luck!

Mar 8, 2016 8:43 PM in response to Ferd II

Sorry I should have mentioned that I tried this already. The only thing was when I got to the option to restart the computer I didnt see the restart button so I just turbed it off. I dont know if that changed anything but I didnt work. It said it repaired the disk, and then the next step should have been the restart. Any other ideas?

Mar 8, 2016 9:00 PM in response to Jay3000

Your screenshot says "Recovery partition required." Nothing about update. If your OS was restored from a Superduper clone there will be no Recovery partition. To check, use Terminal and type in diskutil list If there is no Apple_Boot Recovery HD in the list, you will have to reinstall the OS to get it.

Recovery partition required?! (Find My Mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.