Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6s shuts down at ambient temperatures

iPhone 6s 64GB.

My phone switches off at outside temperatures where I most certainly would expect the phone to work flawlessly.

This is a log I have kept on the occurrences and my troubleshooting.

First occurrence:

January 20th 2016.

Outside temperature: -10 Celsius.

Battery Charge: Approx. 40%

Phone kept in jacket pocket and is cooled to ambient temperature, not kept warm by body heat. (this is the same for all occurrences.)

Used snapchat, and chat program, took two pictures with snapchat and one with camera app. When taking a second picture with camera app the phone died, and would not switch on.

I was not surprises that happened due to the temperature, but this is not uncommon for Norway in the winter. To be on the safe side I went to an Apple reseller and ran a diagnostic, no issues found.

Was told to do a «battery reset» by fully discharging and charging twice.

This was done over the next few days.

Second occurence:

January 28th 2016.

Outside temperature: 7c.

Battery level: Approx. 40%

The phone shut down in the middle of a panoramic picture.

Unable to switch the phone back on, Battery depleted indication on screen.

A few minutes later the phone switches on but shuts down just after I input my code, battery level shows 33%.

Left the phone off until I get home, Once home I switch it on, it shows 32% battery level, and switches off before I can complete entering my code.

Charge the phone, and check Apple support page.

By advise from support page I did a factory reset, and recover a backup via iTunes and change it to 100%.

Third occurrence:

March 7th 2016

Outside temperature: 6c

Battery charge: 43%

Phone shuts down in the middle of a panoramic picture.

Will not switch back on, displays depleted battery symbol.

Return home 30 minutes later, but still get the depleted battery symbol.

Plug in the charger and the phone powers up with a battery status of 39%, after 5 minutes in the charger I disconnect it and the phone works just fine.

I do a diagnostic via the Apple support page, and call tech support.

I am given a case number

The diagnostic showed no fault on the phone.

My case was similar to issues other have experienced, but I had been more attentive to details than others, sadly she had no remedy for my issues, but encouraged me to keep logging further issues.

So I decided to do my own investigation to try and replicate the issue.

By placing my phone on my terrace for approxemately 30 minutes a time I cooled the phone down to ambient temperature at various battery levels to see how the phone responded.

Test 1:

March 7th.

Temperature: 6c

Battery charge: 35%

Phone shut down within a minute, did not use the camera, but e-mail app, iMessage app and scrolled within those apps.

The phone switched on by connecting it to a charger and displayed 35% charge.

March 8th.

Test 2:

Temperature: 5c

Battery charge: 89%

When I started using the phone the battery charge was 77%.

I opened various apps, like e-mail, iMessage, Facebook and camera.

After a minute the charge was 73%

After 3 minutes it was 70%

After 5 minutes it was 67%

After 15 minutes it appeared to have stabilized at 66%, at this time the phone was near room temperature.

Did a restart and it came up with 78% battery charge that dropped to 75% within a minute and stabilized.

Test 3:

Battery charge 75%

When starting to use the phone it had dropped to 65%, this dropped to 61% within 5 minutes of app use.

45 minutes later it was still 65%.

10 hours later on standby (Wi-Fi and BT active) it was 50%, which is totally acceptable.

March 9th.

Test 4:

Temperature: 6c

Battery charge 48%

When starting to use the phone the charge had dropped to 31%.

Used e-mail app, iMessage app and Facebook for 3 minutes without any issues.

Battery charge is 30%, Then I open the camera app and the phone shuts down.

2 minutes later I try to switch the phone on, but get the battery depleted symbol.

1 minute later the phone switches on, but shuts down when the input code screen comes up. Attempt to switch it on just gives the battery depleted symbol.

Hold the phone in my hands to warm it up for 1 minute.

Switch it on, gives a battery charge of 45% which drops to 41% within 3 minutes, an hour later it is still 41%.

Use various apps and camera app with no issues.

Based on this I suspect the issue is related to temperature and battery status.

It is possible that starting up certain apps, like the camera app, demands so much power that the battery’s reduced capacity due to the the temperature causes a voltage drop sufficient to trigger a shutdown. Once the temperature increases the battery capacity is restored and the phone powers on and works normal.

I would not consider 5-7degrees C to be a low temperature, and would expect a phone to work under these circumstances.

Somewhat below freezing I accept that this can be an issue.

Just for information.

I have a background in electronics, 9 years work experience on airplanes as an Avionics engineer, and 9 years with automated oil drilling systems so I consider myself to have a good knowledge of electrical components and systems.

Best Regards.

Egil.

Norway.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 9:20 AM

7 replies

Mar 9, 2016 10:21 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yeah, tech support told me that.

But 5-7c is well within the limits.

As I said, the first case when in was -10c is up for debate.

But not being able to use your phone outside kind of contradicts the whole point of having a mobile phone.

After all, where I live the temperature is between 0 and 10C close to half the year.

This has never been a problem on any other iPhone I have had in the past years.

Mar 9, 2016 10:54 AM in response to Noggie

In cases of temperatures close to the operating range, a lot can depend on wind temperatures as well. Most people in colder temperatures have reported that keeping the device in an inside pocket of a shirt or something similar has helped ensure that the device stays warmer until needed. Of course, leaving the device out to use for an extended period of time is going to have an affect. Most all lithium-ion portable battery devices operate in those temperature ranges, so there really isn't much more one could do. You may not have seen this in the past because battery technology has changed, and is more affected by temperature.

You are welcome to provide feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback and then click on the appropriate subject area.

May 23, 2016 11:19 PM in response to Noggie

HI.

I Am having the same problems. Always seems to be when I am using the camera. Battery always has decent amount of charge. I can often restart by holding home and power key til I get the apple logo but also sometimes that won't work and I have to wait to to plug into power.. This has happened in various temperatures - mostly around 18 degree Celsius so well within operating temps. I contacted apple and they ran diagnostics and told me I have a software problem. I cleared my phone and downloaded the software again then restored from my back up hoping that this would fix the issue. The apple tech was concerned that the software issue may be on my back up so suggested doing a factory reset and not restoring but that didn't go down well with me as I will lose all my fitness data (sad I know!). Anyway two days later after restoring my phone was up and running again but did the same thing a couple of days later. It seem to be only after I allowed an app access to the camera and photos so I deleted that app and rang Apple who ran diagnostics and said the software issue had gone and then I had no problems for two weeks, but alas it happened again today and i wasn't even in the camera for a change!

i Am just doing the late iOS update 9.3.2 and hoping that may help! otherwise i am back on the phone to Apple. I did speak to a senior advisor at Apple and he told me to get my phone swapped for a new one. He told me to contact my carrier here in nz but unfortunately they only swap with refurbished so I would rather see if I can fix mine first.!

Have you managed to fix yours??

Jul 17, 2016 2:50 PM in response to Dylou

Hi.

I'm sorry I missed this.

So far I have not attempted to fix my phone, I have tried to make sure I dont have too low a charge (over 50%) when its cold outside.

And I try to keep the phone in inner pockets or similar.

Since my testing above I have avoided this issue by being cautious with temperatures and charge level.

During normal temperatures I have never had any issues, the phone has also worked well in hot and humid conditions.

I'll be interested to see how it works out in a few months when winter is looming and the temperatures drop.

There has been at least two iOS updates since my last incident, so who knows, it may be fixed.

Nov 21, 2016 7:46 AM in response to Noggie

Hi

There is an iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues.

The program covers iPhone 6s devices within a limited serial number range that were manufactured between September and October 2015.

Apple advises that, if you have experienced the issue, you should visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorised Service Provider to have your iPhone examined and the serial number checked to confirm your eligibility for a battery replacement, free of charge.

More information and instructions:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Dec 21, 2016 10:35 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you for that tip.

My phone was actually part of that program.

Sadly my Apple shop told me that Apple had problems getting enough batteries for this program, so I should come back "sometime in January".

Looks like I will be keeping my 6s for some time now, I initially thought I'd wait for the 7s, but with a fresh battery I might wait for the 8.

Iphone 6s shuts down at ambient temperatures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.