Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight search doesn't work on iPhone 6 iOS 9.2.1

When swiping the home screen right, it displays Siri suggestions, nearby restaurants, etc., and news. However, when I type in a query I basically get no results. Once in a while some random suggested app from the Apple App Store will show up – I can't figure out why that particular app and not others that might also match. But I get no apps or contacts or notes that are on my iPhone, and no web search results, as well as no ability to send the query to a web search engine. It's been this way for months now, through a couple of updates to the iOS. I have tried turning off all spotlight options and turning them back on again, restarting, cursing. Nothing works.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, spotlight

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 2:43 PM

26 replies

Mar 9, 2016 3:20 PM in response to Yigal Arens

Restore as new means exactly that, like just got it out of the box.

Restore from backup is all or nothing thingy, you cannot selective choose.

If you restore as new and is working fine, then you need to manually sync back your music, books, apps.

Your calendar(s), contacts should be fine if you have iCloud on for these items.

Settings > iCloud > Contacts: ON, Calendars: ON and etc.

Mar 9, 2016 3:32 PM in response to Yigal Arens

There are several cooks on this already but I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

Restore from Backup first. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

If it now works you are home free, succes!!!

If restoring from backup does not help, then restore again but as New. If it now works you will know that there is an issue with the backup and would have no choice but to configure from scratch - time consuming to be sure...

Hopefully restoring from backup will take care of it. I have had to do both, from backup takes about 30-60 minutes, as new took me a day and a half since I had to reconfigure all settings and many heavily customized apps.

Mar 9, 2016 3:53 PM in response to Yigal Arens

I understand... and to be sure, there is no guarantee that it will work. Restoring is the standard recommended approach and I would do it, but it does not solve all issues. I have had an issue with my Photos App that has not been resolved, even by AppleCare Level 2...

While restoring from backup may take an hour, it is not an hour of work, most of the time is spent waiting for the download and then for the download to be installed.

In your original message you said "I have tried turning off all spotlight options and turning them back on again, restarting, cursing". if you have to restore as new and reconfigure all from scratch you will be doing a lot of the later. 😟

Good luck.

Mar 11, 2016 5:07 PM in response to elcpu

Just an update. I did a "restore from backup" last night. Everything worked fine when I tested it right after, but it later returned to the way it has been: Entering text in the search bar returns nothing but a blank screen, and sometimes a single (apparently) random matching app as a "top hit". I don't have the time nor the inclination to do a "restore as new", given how cumbersome the process is and the lack of certainty about the results. I think it's ridiculous that Apple allows this situation to exist. Web searches indicate to me that I am not the only one suffering from one version or another of this problem.

Thanks to elcpu and ckuan who tried to help!

spotlight search doesn't work on iPhone 6 iOS 9.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.