Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp Windows 10 and Intel Graphics update error

I have installed Windows 10 on a Late 2014 Mac Mini running OS X El Capitan 10.11.3.

The machine is listed in the approved Macs for running Windows 10.

Windows 10 is attempting to install an Upgrade to version 1511, 10586.

The "Preparing Update" window with scrolling status bar runs and eventually presents the following error message:

"Couldn't install Windows 10. This device isn't compatible in Windows 10. Contact the manufacturer for more info.

•Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 5100 (Intel Corporation)"

I used the Intel Driver Update Utility - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html and installed the latest driver the tool recommended, but the Windows 10 update continues to fail with the identical error message as above. I contacted Intel support and their reply was that I needed to talk to Apple for a solution. I'm also unable to run a HDMI second monitor on the Windows side of Bootcamp, that runs perfectly on the Mac side of Bootcamp. Obviously, I have graphic card issues, but I don't have the answers.

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Intel HD Graphics 5000 Iris 5100

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 2:38 PM

8 replies

Jan 24, 2017 2:42 PM in response to Gary Franks2

It's been a while, but I've been waiting and watching Apple for a resolution to my Bootcamp issue from 3-9-16. No luck. The issue of non being able to update Windows 10 on a Mac Mini late 2014 remains. Win 10 is now on Anniversary 1607 edition and still cannot be updated because of an Intel graphics driver. (This device isn't compatible in Windows 10. Contact the manufacturer for more info. Intel(R) Iris(tM) Graphics 5100 (Intel Corporation) I've tried every remedy I've found mentioned in past threads up to now and nothing works. Today I re-installed/repaired the BC support files from an Apple support article from just a few weeks back with no change. I created a Win 10 USB installer, but couldn't find a way to install and keep users/apps/files/etc. I purchased this Mini with the promise that it would run Win 10 in Bootcamp. It will run it, you just can't update it. Somewhere between Apple, Microsoft, and Intel there is a culprit.

Jan 24, 2017 3:48 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T

I've spent too much time on this already. Apple, Microsoft, or Intel should have an answer. We've put people on the moon for C sake. They obviously don't care. I'm disappointed in Apple, the other two don't surprise me. I use Windows for one app only and Bootcamp was a great solution. I'll see if it is worth sticking with moving forward. Thanks for all of your help. You truly are appreciated.

Gary

Mar 10, 2016 2:31 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T

I apologize for my tardy reply, but I thought I would get an email that someone replied to my post. Didn't get one, so just checked back in today.

My current driver for the Intel Iris 5100 is 10.18.15.4256. I downloaded what is said to be the latest driver from Intel site - 15.40.10.4300 but have not installed it. Thought I would wait to hear from somebody more knowledgable than me before applying repair attempts.

Thanks for you rapid reply and forgive my late response. I look forward to any advice you have.

Boot camp Windows 10 and Intel Graphics update error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.