Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iphone 6 (iOS 9.2.1) will not connect to itunes (version 11.4).

will not connect due to:

"The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes."

Please help!!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 8:04 PM

You need iTunes 12.3 to sync with an iOS device running iOS 9. You would have to update the OS on your computer in order to be able to update iTunes to the level you need.

Best of luck,

GB

5 replies

Mar 31, 2016 12:29 PM in response to gail from maine

This is extremely bad form on the part of Apple. We should not be forced to upgrade desktop OS's just because they can't stop issuing updates to iOS. i'm stuck with a phone i can't back up -- of course Apple wants me to PAY THEM to use iCloud to make up the difference, or buy an entirely new computer that can run the new OS's i don't even want to use. Shame on you, Apple.

Mar 31, 2016 3:04 PM in response to magdalen23

Well, maybe they "just can't stop issuing updates to iOS", but no one is forcing you to install the updates. If you "just can't stop" updating, and you are running old hardware of any sort (whether it be your device or your computer), it behooves you to be very familiar with what those updates contain and what their technical requirements are.

Sorry.....

GB

Apr 30, 2016 2:57 PM in response to gail from maine

Just to clarify for a complete novice, I have an iphone 5S that I am changing to an iphone 6se. The Mac is running 10.7.5 and my iphone 5s was running 9.3.1 and the iphone 6se is running the same. I have the up-to-date iTunes on my phones and my Mac has 12.2.2.25.

I get the error message "The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes". This is when I try and restore the new iphone 6se from back-up for the iphone 5S.

Is it right that actually it is the Mac's iOS that is the problem and I am being forced into using El Capitan??

Many thanks for your help.

new iphone 6 (iOS 9.2.1) will not connect to itunes (version 11.4).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.