Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What iCloud password do I use when setting up my email client? I keep getting an authentication error.

While trying to setup my (non-Apple) email client to receive and send email for my iCloud account I keep getting an authentication error while using my AppleID password.

I tried resetting my AppleID password but the password is still failing when attempting to setup my email client. I even called Apple Support today in which they told me that the iCloud email password should be in sync with the AppleID password since the iCloud email is just an alias to it. After 25+ minutes they told me I should just use the Apple Mail client instead. 😐

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2016 9:36 PM

I finally found the solution tonight when looking through the Manage your Apple ID site. You need to create an App-Specific password for your email client:

1. go to https://appleid.apple.com/account/home
  2. login with your AppleID username and password
  3. Once the page loads click the 'Edit' link in the Security section
  4. You should now see a section for App-Specific Passwords
  5. Click the 'Generate Password...' link
  6. Enter a label (I used my email client name - Unibox)
  7. Click Create

Apple will generate a password that you'll use when setting up your email client. Use this new password instead of your AppleID password.

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2016 9:36 PM in response to derek78756

I finally found the solution tonight when looking through the Manage your Apple ID site. You need to create an App-Specific password for your email client:

1. go to https://appleid.apple.com/account/home
  2. login with your AppleID username and password
  3. Once the page loads click the 'Edit' link in the Security section
  4. You should now see a section for App-Specific Passwords
  5. Click the 'Generate Password...' link
  6. Enter a label (I used my email client name - Unibox)
  7. Click Create

Apple will generate a password that you'll use when setting up your email client. Use this new password instead of your AppleID password.

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

What iCloud password do I use when setting up my email client? I keep getting an authentication error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.