Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ejecting disk from USB Super Drive

Last night I unboxed my new USB Super Drive and attached it to my MacBookPro. I put in a recorded movie DVD and was able to begin play. Then I ejected it by clicking the drive icon shown on the desktop, because I was just testing how it connected etc..... Then, I wanted to see if it could record.

I inserted a blank DVD and it wanted me to tell it what to record but I did not want to record. Instead it presented another option, which was to IGNORE.

So I clicked IGNORE. As a result, there was NO ICON ON THE DESKTOP for this drive. And, the EJECT text on the menu bar was grayed out.

Now I sit here with a brand new USB Super Drive with a blank CD stuck in it and am being totally IGNORED, as I requested, but what did I know when I asked for it to ignore me.

Here is the rub. I've logged out, signed back in, and it still has not cleared out my instruction to ignore. So I cannot eject the blank DVD disk.

Where do I go from here?

My MacBookPro is retina display, i7, 15" running ElCapitan, it is a mid 2015 model I think. I'm not on it now, but will open it to follow help suggestions. I'm a recent convert to Apple computing products, from Windows, so I need basic plain directions. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), retina, i7

Posted on Mar 10, 2016 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2016 9:37 AM

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2016 9:37 AM in response to bj mobile al

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

Mar 10, 2016 9:24 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I appreciate all the ways you suggest. I will keep them for future reference. I have the following stumbling blocks to consider:

1. No mouse in use on my MacBookPro. Just a track pad

2. The keyboard of my MBP has no key designated for EJECT.

3. In the menubar of the Finder window, the EJECT was grayed out. I will check again after I restart the notebook

4. I think I can try the COMMAND-E no problem.

5. I'll also try the Terminal by entering the text at the prompt.

I do not know anything about Single-user Mode (I'll research it), but I am the only user of the notebook and would prefer to keep it in Single-user Mode. I do not know how to precipitate the "reboot" since my MBP usually just goes to sleep when I close the lid, and shows my login as well as a nonexistent "Guest" beside it when it wakes up. However, I just powered it off to begin the eject process.

I will definitely instruct Preferences to show these items on the screen: CDs, DVDs, and iPods (I don't have an iPod, but maybe my iPad and iPhone should they be plugged in, although I usually attach them to the new iMac desktop computer).

Thanks for your speedy response.

Mar 10, 2016 9:34 AM in response to CellarDwellr

CellarDwellr,

I will look in a Finder window when I repower the MBP. I did not notice any "devices" mentioned nor did I identify a "left pane", just a drop down menu when I put the cursor on FILE.

I realize that having "situations" is the best way to really learn the Apple system, but it sure gets hairy at times like this. I definitely will make sure the desktop shows any attached devices, or loaded CD, DVD, (or iPod, although I don't use an iPod).

I'll be back with the results shortly. Thanks to you and Kappy for the responses.

Mar 10, 2016 9:47 AM in response to Kappy

Ahhh, Kappy, thank you!

I thought about the manual I'd read concerning the trackpad touch system, and thought I recalled that the bottom left area of the trackpad was the same as the left MOUSE button. So.....when the chime sounded, I pressed and held down the left bottom corner of the trackpad, hoping it would serve the purpose.

VOILA! I cannot express the feeling of TRIUMPH I felt as the DISK EJECTED RIGHT ON CUE!! Wonderful. And I did not have to damage anything in the process. Great! Wonderful.

I have another problem as well, concerning attachment of personal photos to forum posts, but I'll find a forum for that and ask there. I was trying the same thing here, to attach a photo to my profile, but the same thing happened-- iMac I'm using does not go to my Photos Library. Big problem as I'm a Photos heavy user. As soon as I get the issue clear enough to state, I'll be posting that somewhere later today.

ejecting disk from USB Super Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.