Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I try to update OS X via internet. It fails with wrong password for wlan, even if the right one is entered.

Sorry, title is a bit long. I have problems with a current osx Installation and desided for a new install via Internet WLAN connection.

The connection to my access point isn't successful.

a test with a Android phone worked well, with the same parameters.

The mac book pro may have some wrong behavior (i guess Malware, for more see my second Diskussion).

What can i do? May a Firmware update for mainboard or net adapter help?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Mar 10, 2016 2:15 PM

7 replies

Mar 11, 2016 7:17 AM in response to Rosejo

Unlikely. By WLAN do you mean you are connected to a wireless access point? It is possible that for some operating systems that the case is sensitive for both username and password or router name and password. It is also possible you have reached a certain limit of the router in terms of wireless connections. There are many things that can cause wireless to fail*:

http://www.macmaps.com/WIFI1048.html

Also some routers need a firmware update to be compatible with some operating systems. Better to do a direct ethernet connection to the router, and try it that way.

If you were attempting to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.11, note many printers and scanners no longer work. See my user tip:

El Capitan System (10.11) requirements for upgrade

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Mar 11, 2016 9:50 AM in response to a brody

Thanks, i have a really bad story concerning computer modifications behind me, and i dont want to go with it any more.

I'm very careful about testing and configuring. So this is a minimalistic Szenario. One mac, fresh pasword for WLAN and one single box to the Internet, no additional Clients allowed ...

My mac do not have any problems, when i boot normally.

Mar 11, 2016 9:44 PM in response to a brody

I use the OSX 10.8.5 Base Partition for the Boot, so nothing additional would be the right answer, i think.

About 10 GB free harddisk space, but this should be more than enough for that small recovery system.

But i have some strange effects here too.

You could See one in the picture i did in my tread about a possibly virus on this mac.

The others are eg. longer boot time even for the recovery boot and when i switch oft the wireless LAN Adapter after some minutes it is back on automatical.

Sounds strange is strange.

It did that after burning a CD and reinserting it unter the recovery system.

So i guess i need forensic help and a 100% clean install. Do you know anyone.

Is there a possibility for a verification of the MB, eg. firmware of the motherboard or/and wireless lan adapter? (Should be a New question)

Mar 12, 2016 7:25 AM in response to Rosejo

Is there a possibility for a verification of the MB, eg. firmware of the motherboard or/and wireless lan adapter? (Should be a New que stion)

Apple Hardware Test doesn't catch everything, so even if it doesn't find a problem, you could have one.

Apple Hardware Test

Apple Hardware Test – Invoke and Interpret

Apple Hardware test – How to run and interpret (2)

Apple Hardware Test - Using

Apple Diagnostics – Computers introduced after June 2013

Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes

Memory Test

Memory Test (2)

I try to update OS X via internet. It fails with wrong password for wlan, even if the right one is entered.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.