Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Time Machine backup to new drive

I have been searching the forums and haven't been able to find the answer to this yet.

My Time Machine backup is on an external hard drive. I want to move it to a new drive and get rid of the old drive. But I can't find any information that says how to do migrate from one drive to another. Can I simply copy the Backups.backupdb folder over to the new drive? I'm guessing it's not that simple.

Also, about the "Ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox. I'm confused by what I've read in the forums because it's kind of like a double-negative. Once & for all, for this new drive do I want it checked or unchecked? And why?

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro 2.5GHz

Posted on Mar 10, 2016 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 8:19 AM

You can do a Finder copy to the new drive, but sometimes it hangs and doesn't work

Try using Disk Utility/Restore to copy the backup to a new location. Please note that this will reformat the destination partition.

Checking ignore ownership usually eliminates any permissions problems that may be experienced.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Scott Kopp

You can do a Finder copy to the new drive, but sometimes it hangs and doesn't work

Try using Disk Utility/Restore to copy the backup to a new location. Please note that this will reformat the destination partition.

Checking ignore ownership usually eliminates any permissions problems that may be experienced.

Move Time Machine backup to new drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.