Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nest Protect wants multiple ports per device IP Address

Hi All

Rather a strange one this...

I have 4 x Nest Protect smoke/fire alarms. All appear to be working correctly, and talking to each other. I THINK (but am not sure) that they are actually connecting to Nest/Google via the internet because the software has been getting updated. Therefore I am not even sure I have a problem to solve...

i have configured each one to have a static IP Address, and I have set port forwarding for each IP address to have Public and Private TCP and UDP ports of 80 for device 1, 443 for device 2, 9543 for device 3 and 11095 for device 4. These port numbers were given to me by Nest support.

BUT - when I asked for confirmation that these four setting were correct I received this instruction:

I understand that you have assigned port 80 to your first Protect, 443 to your second Protect and 9543 to your third Protect (Or some variant of this).

I'm sorry for not giving you a full example of what you should do prior to this. As I said in the above paragraph, all ports apply to all devices.

So if your Static IP for your 1st Protect is 192.168.1.10 you will assign TCP+UDP 80, TCP+UDP 443, TCP+UDP 9543 and TCP+UDP 11095 to it.

You must then do the exact same for the following 3 Nest Protects that you have. I appreciate its a bit long-winded but I assure you there is no further configuration required for this.

How is it possible to assign 4 ports to one static P address?!? When I queried this with Nest Support, the response was "I'm really sorry to say this but it was already beyond my scope of support to assist you like I have with the router as I was using personal knowledge of port forwarding and was hoping that it would be possible for you to apply my instructions using the apple supplied instructions that I shared with you"

Ideas anyone? Or should I just leave it alone as there might not even be a problem to solve?

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2016 1:09 AM

So if your Static IP for your 1st Protect is 192.168.1.10 you will assign TCP+UDP 80, TCP+UDP 443, TCP+UDP 9543 and TCP+UDP 11095 to it.

You must then do the exact same for the following 3 Nest Protects that you have. I appreciate its a bit long-winded but I assure you there is no further configuration required for this.

How is it possible to assign 4 ports to one static P address?!?

To assign multiple ports to a single static IP address, just enter each port required followed by a comma, for example:

Public TCP Port(s): 80, 443, 9543, 11095

Public UDP Port(s): 80, 443, 9543, 11095

However, you cannot assign these same ports to multiple static IP addresses.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2016 1:09 AM in response to PhilTheHat

How is it possible to assign 4 ports to one static P address?!?

To assign multiple ports to a single static IP address, just enter each port required followed by a comma, for example:

Public TCP Port(s): 80, 443, 9543, 11095

Public UDP Port(s): 80, 443, 9543, 11095

However, you cannot assign these same ports to multiple static IP addresses.

Mar 12, 2016 1:13 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you very much for your response, although it would now seem that I would only be able to configure ONE Nest device.

Would you happen to know if the inability to assign the same ports to multiple static IP addresses is a limitation of the airport router or would that be a general limitation of port forwarding on any router? If the latter, then the Nest instructions would be seriously flawed and if the former, then I guess I am stuck as I'm not intending to introduce another router into my LAN solely for the purpose of connecting 4 poorly designed Nest devices!

Mar 13, 2016 12:09 AM in response to PhilTheHat

Would you happen to know if the inability to assign the same ports to multiple static IP addresses is a limitation of the airport router or would that be a general limitation of port forwarding on any router?

Just about any consumer-grade router would be limited this way. The typical way around this is to enable UPnP or NAT-PMP on a router so that the application "automatically" opens the appropriate ports as required. The Apple routers only support the latter. I believe the Nest devices use the former. Regardless, the key is that the application must support one or the other of these protocols to work.

There are numerous posts on the Internet discussing this with Nest products.

Nest Protect wants multiple ports per device IP Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.