Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting iDVD onto another Mac?

I'm trying and failing to get iDVD onto another Mac.

I've copied the app from my iMac (2009) to my MacBook Pro (2012) but when it opens it says 'it can't find themes'

I then copied the iDVD themes (go - library - application - application support - iDVD themes) folder into the same location on my new MacBook. I then restarted.

However when I open iDVD again it still says it can't find themes. When it asks to 'find themes' it can't find the iDVD themes folder (the 'tree' is also different to the one where I found the iDVD themes folder on my desktop.( HD - user - library - application support)

I tried to import iLife 11 in an attempt to get it working but still have the same problem.

Whats weird is that I've now checked the iDVD themes folder on the MacBook and all the themes have been deleted. Any ideas?

Both machines are running El Capitan.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 4:35 AM

9 replies

Mar 11, 2016 11:41 AM in response to Old Toad

I can't get to preferences, everything is greyed out apart form the options on the standard screen below. As soon as I press any of these buttons I get the 'cant find themes' message.

Weird that even when I deleted the program and installed iLife 11 the themes still could not be found.

I think i'm going to buy a copy of iLife 09 as I believe thats the last version to have all the themes in it and try again.

User uploaded file

While you're on this thread Old Toad, do you know why when I try to create a DVD from a disk image, the DVD player program states that the disc is unplayable but when I try it in my own DVD player it works perfectly?

Mar 13, 2016 12:08 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad.

There doesn't seem to be any issues reading other disks in the machine so I'm don't think there's a problem with reading optical drive.

Any idea why iLife 11 wouldn't work regarding loading iDVD onto the new MacBook?

Is there a way of getting to the preferences to find the location of the themes if all i can get is the main iDVD 'welcome' panel?

Mar 15, 2016 2:51 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes i am creating an iDVD project and as per your recommendations I create a disk image to separate the encoding from the burning process.

I then mount the disc image (that contains both AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS) and play it via 'DVD player' to make sure it plays ok. This process works fine.

From here I then burn the project to disc (verbatim disc at x2)

When I then try to play the burnt disc I then get an error message saying that the disc is unplayable. However when I play the disc on my BlueRay player it plays perfectly.

I'm able to play or import from the disc drive with other discs so its all a bit puzzling really.

It's not the end of the world as I can always check to make sure the project plays on my BlueRay player, its just a bit of a pain to do so.

I may be paranoid but ever since I upgraded my iMac (late 2009) from Mountain Lion to Mavericks - Yosemite - El Capitan, i've had all sorts of software bugs that I never seemed to experience on ML. Maybe my machine is getting a little too old to run the latest software effectively?!?

Getting iDVD onto another Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.