Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 unlocks by itself and runs random apps.

iPhone 6 will unlock by itself and run random apps. Been having this problem ever since I bought the phone. Usually happens 15 minutes after phone has been locked. Happens three or four times a month. Below are the common steps that seem to reproduce this problem:

1. iPhone is carried in left front pocket of blue jeans. (Loose jeans, not tight fitting)

2. iPhone screen is locked. Pass code only. Touch ID is not enabled.

3. While walking, at least a mile, iPhone will unlock itself and play a random App.

First time this happened is when the phone unlocked itself and pocket dialed some phone numbers.

Other times phone will play an App, like "News", and start playing a video while in my pocket. The News App seems to be a favorite (And I never used this App). There are multiple finger strokes involved to bring up the News App, and select video to play - so how does it do this by itself?

Or I'll take the phone out of my pocket and see that it is unlocked, and some other random App will be on the screen, like Stocks, camera, Keynote, Numbers. Just pick an App and it has done them all, ALL by itself. This morning it was the App Store - playing some ad for an App in the Featured section.

Phone has latest firmware (all updates). Which seems to have reduced the occurrence of this problem for the past year. 64 gig phone model.

You would think that these phone were tested under real-world conditions, like carrying them in a pocket. And that there would be NO way to unlock the phone and play an App without entering a pass code. Can't be static build up - the phones had to have been tested for this too. No "Bendgate" here either

So have I been stuck with bad hardware all this time?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 8:25 AM

6 replies

Mar 30, 2016 12:03 PM in response to RAID69

I have exactly the same thing. I bought my iphone 6 last December. It unlocks itself randomly and starts up random apps. Often I will hear a voice coming from my pocket, and it will be a news item or something. I took the phone to Apple in Brighton and they tested it but found nothing wrong. I don't think they believed me. The other day, I locked the phone manually and put it it my pocket, but about a minute later remembered something else that I wanted to do on the phone. I took it out of my pocket and it was unlocked-I used my left hand so it is not possible that I inadvertently unlocked it with my finger. Today, it was in my coat pocket on a hook for about 2 hours, and when I took it out of the pocket it was unlocked. Auto lock is set at 2 minutes. I am really frustrated about this. I'm not sure if I can face going through all the hassle of trying to convince someone at Apple that there is a problem

Mar 30, 2016 12:10 PM in response to RAID69

Try:

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device. Do not restore from backup

If still problem, make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

May 18, 2016 9:54 AM in response to malawbrook

One thing we had in common was that my phone also had the Auto lock time set to 2 minutes. I changed that to one minute auto lock after reading your post. The random programs running in my pocket seem to have gone away for the last month and a half. Along with same "lifting the phone out my pocket and not touching the buttons problem".

But now a new problem has popped up since changing the auto lock time. The phone now runs random apps while in the middle of another app, or something else that I'm doing.

Example: On May 6th, Was texting a message, and right in the middle of my texting the iTunes Store App popped up and said "The iTunes Store is unable to process purchases at this time. Please try again later". What the heck???

I don't even use my phone for iTunes purchases. All background apps are turned off on my phone. iTunes is NOT running.

This phone is messed up. I guess I'll take this thing into the local Genius bar and see if they can run diagnostics. Not happy with this phone, and don't plan on ever buying another iPhone.

Picture below of the iTunes app popping up in the middle of texting. (Not the only app that has done this, news and stock reports happen too).

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2016 3:14 PM in response to RAID69

Just an update on my phone - It's now coming down with "Touch Disease". Messages Screen went blank. After a reset and going back to my newly received messages, the touch screen no longer worked. Power cycled it. Now working. But occasionally I'll have to touch the screen 6 or more times to get something to work. Time for the garbage can for this phone. No more iPhones for me.

iPhone 6 unlocks by itself and runs random apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.