Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gmail account not showing in mac mail

I've added a gmail account to mail but its not showing in the accounts list in mail preferences. When trying to redo it, it tells me it's already added. The new account does show in internet accounts. I have other working email accounts, including gmails... all show and work fine.

Any help appreciated.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2016 3:54 PM

I found the issue. I was selecting the "gmail Mail account provider" in mail accounts list... it wouldn't work.

I tried selecting "Other Mail Account" and it worked... email shows in email accounts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6 replies

Apr 1, 2016 6:05 AM in response to Duane

Hi Duane

As you have suggested in this post. I have tried all i could to make gmail work with mac mail. But it just doesn't. Help me with this as I need this very soon.

I currently have the latest os 10.11.4 on my macbook pro(Late 2011 Model)

I have tried both the exercise of checking and unchecking of the Mail option in the system preferences in the internet account. As well as removing my gmail accounts from internet accounts preferences and adding it through the mac mail preferences but that too was of no help.

Would also like to report that the respective gmail accounts added through system pref. internet accounts, i am able to receive the feeds of contacts and calendar in the respective address book and calendars app of Mac, but not mail.

I have also tried and added another user on my mac and tried adding the gmail on that account too. again of no help. Also tried allowing access of less secure apps on gmail and the option of imap enabled on the gmail account , again of no help.

Earlier when i was facing the same problem with gmail and mac mail, i had done a reset of my keychain access and the problem was solved and i easily received my mails in mac but now after trying the reset again, its not working.

Please guide me. Any suggestions on this to make gmail work will be of great help. I have tried almost every mail app available for mac in the market and I have still not found any alternative to mac mail.

thanks for your help

gmail account not showing in mac mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.