Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on Macbook Pro Disconnected

I have a brand new 13" Macbook Pro with El Capitan. I use "Messages" to send iMessages to my family from this Macbook. For some reason, Messages suddenly stopped working. It says "Disconnected" in the lower left corner. If I try to log in, it says "Connecting..." just briefly, then switches back to "Disconnected."

I had changed some settings in my iPhone 6+, and thought maybe I checked something by accident that caused the disconnection. However, when I go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, the switch next to my Macbook Pro is green. I even tried switching it off and re-pairing it (where you have to re-enter the code from the computer on the phone). No luck.

Can you recommend anything else to try that might clear up this "Disconnected" issue with Messages? Thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 4:03 PM

Never mind! I fixed it. iMessage was logged in just fine, it was GTalk that was disconnected because I changed the password. I fixed it!

4 replies

Mar 13, 2016 2:40 PM in response to TMHahn

For others.

The listing or list lower left of the Main window's Side Bar is about every other account you have other than iMessages.

It will also show the current status of the Account(s).

This is independent of whether in the General Section the Buddy List are grouped as one list or not.

Also the Messages Menu > Status only refers to Buddy Lists and not the iMessages account.

It also only refers to one Account if you have many.

The iMessages account can appear On Line as it is Enabled in Preferences > Accounts.

You only really know if you can Add a Name to a New Message (all Contacts go red if there is a problem) or the Sent Messages don't immediately gets marked "Not Delivered". The Red Contacts (Not Registered with iMessages) and the Not Delivered alerts are the only way you know you are not logged in to iMessages.

User uploaded file

9:40 pm Sunday; March 13, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Dec 5, 2016 12:32 PM in response to Aaron B93

Hi,

The Original Poster had not only iMessages Account set up in Messages but a GoogleTalk account (they don't mention if Bonjour was active)

They thought the issue was with the iMessages account but it turned out to be the Google one.

I would guess their Google ID is their Apple ID as well and changed the Password for use with the Google end and not the Apple ID part.

Based on that "never mind" post I pointed out the "other" accounts that are not iMessages are shown bottom left of the main window and tend to have "Disconnected" showing if they are not logged in.

Does your issue match any of this ?

User uploaded file

8:32 pm Monday; December 5, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Messages on Macbook Pro Disconnected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.