Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows server 2016 via boot camp?

Any idea when this will be supported? I just tried to install and it fails.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2016 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 4:01 PM

I installed plain Windows 8 first (MBP2011, Sierra, one SSD) to to get going (formatting the bootcamp partition during install). Then started the WS2016 install from an USB-stick via the WS2016 setup.exe application. The WS 2016 install said its deleted everything on the Windows 8 partition (fine by me). Installed the bootcamp drivers (I use a GUI WS2016 installation) to enable Ctrl-Alt-Del (had to temporarily connect an USB-Keyboard for initial logon). WS2016 seems to work, will test more in-depth and update here with my learnings (e.g. if Hyper-V role works). Will also see, if the SSD is still driven in IDE (w/o trim), or if I can get EFI boot to work ... (via reFIt/reFInd)

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2017 4:01 PM in response to Brutius

I installed plain Windows 8 first (MBP2011, Sierra, one SSD) to to get going (formatting the bootcamp partition during install). Then started the WS2016 install from an USB-stick via the WS2016 setup.exe application. The WS 2016 install said its deleted everything on the Windows 8 partition (fine by me). Installed the bootcamp drivers (I use a GUI WS2016 installation) to enable Ctrl-Alt-Del (had to temporarily connect an USB-Keyboard for initial logon). WS2016 seems to work, will test more in-depth and update here with my learnings (e.g. if Hyper-V role works). Will also see, if the SSD is still driven in IDE (w/o trim), or if I can get EFI boot to work ... (via reFIt/reFInd)

Nov 14, 2017 7:55 AM in response to nopcodex90

All,

I managed to get server 2016 installed and running on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) 2.9ghz 512gb. Everything seems to be working but using an external display through the usb-c ports. When i did the install a couple months ago i tried every display driver i could find but no love. Works fine on the built-in display, but i have dual monitor setup so i've been working on the mac side thus far. I'm about to pick it back up again and wonder if anyone else has had success. I just copied the bootcamp install files over and blindly ran the x64 driver installs one at a time to get the other devices installed if you haven't done that already...

Nov 14, 2017 8:05 AM in response to modedurenard

I don't think I found the latest Windows Support BootCamp files, and I had really install Windows Server for development and the privacy compared to Windows 10. The BootCamp support files I did try wouldn't get the keyboard or trackpad working, but oddly enough, I have a 38" LG Ultra-Widescreen monitor, with a Thunderbolt 2 input, so I am running the apple thunderbolt2-to-thunderbolt3 adapter connected to the monitor and it had worked perfectly. But I had to use a USB keyboard and mouse. Apple doesn't make it easy to just download the latest BootCamp support, cause even when you search for it in the downloads section, the versions are all out of mismatch and older. Really poor design.

Nov 14, 2017 8:17 AM in response to nopcodex90

You are trying to run an unsupported configuration and still say "Really poor design.". It is doing what it is designed to do, you are trying to make it do something it is not designed to do. Try installing a MacOS on a Windows computer and see how well that goes.

Use a virtual machine to run your Windows Server, use a Windows computer to run your Windows Server, or run a supported version of Windows on your Mac computer. Don't blame it on a "poor design" when Boot Camp does not support Windows Server. I suppose when you try to run your boat across the desert and it does not work you blame it on the poor design of the boat.

Nov 14, 2017 8:50 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I didn't imply that Boot camp wasn't impressive, cause it is. What I indicated was that when you browse the "Downloads" section of the Apple support site, it lists items, without any specific order. Check it out, search for Boot Camp Support Software, and you will see all types of files listed, none in any order and not the latest version. They force you to download it via the Assistant, so in this scenario, using an OS not supported by Bootcamp, doesn't work too well. Also, I am typing this out on a Hackintosh, which by the way, is easier to install then High Sierra is on a MacBook, FYI. So, what I meant to convey is that the "Downloads" section could use some sort of filter/sort options to make it a little more user-friendly, this is coming from someone that has been developing software since AT&T Assembly was still a thing people used routinely.

Nov 14, 2017 9:09 AM in response to nopcodex90

nopcodex90 wrote:

I didn't imply that Boot camp wasn't impressive, cause it is. What I indicated was that when you browse the "Downloads" section of the Apple support site, it lists items, without any specific order. Check it out, search for Boot Camp Support Software, and you will see all types of files listed, none in any order and not the latest version. They force you to download it via the Assistant, so in this scenario, using an OS not supported by Bootcamp, doesn't work too well. Also, I am typing this out on a Hackintosh, which by the way, is easier to install then High Sierra is on a MacBook, FYI. So, what I meant to convey is that the "Downloads" section could use some sort of filter/sort options to make it a little more user-friendly, this is coming from someone that has been developing software since AT&T Assembly was still a thing people used routinely.

"Hackintosh" is not supported either. I had no problem installing High Sierra. I think you are experiencing problems because you are attempting unsupported configurations.

Nov 14, 2017 10:12 AM in response to nopcodex90

nopcodex90 wrote:

My ending word choice was inaccurate, when I wrote "Really poor design", it was in reference to the "Downloads" section in the site. The sort and filter options are a little lack luster, this wasn't in reference to "Boot Camp" and Windows Server support.

Downloads is only valid for BC 5.x drivers, not for BC 6.x. BC 6.x drivers should come from BC Assistant -> Action -> Download or Apple Software Update. As an alternative, you can use Brigadier.

Oct 28, 2016 9:57 AM in response to Brutius

While the Server OS may not be "supported" up to 2012 R2 it has worked. We have a number of systems running 2012 R2 just fine in BootCamp. Don't care that its not supported. In terms of using 2016 too my install has failed. I get an error about not enough space on the disk no matter what size USB drive I use. The reason I think this happens is because the install.wim file in the 2016 install I have which is multiple editions, core standard, core enterprise, multipoint server etc. is 4.41 GB in size whereas the install.wim in Server 2012 R2 is 3.47 or something. I believe BOOTCAMP formats the drive at FAT32 which means no single file can be over 4 GB in size and hence why you get an error about disk space when attempting the installation. Back to the overall supportability keep in mind that the underlying kernel in Server 2016 is the same as Windows 10, Server 2012 R2 same as Windows 8.1 etc. This can and does work, just not for 2016 so far. Now if I could get an install disk that was simple a single edition I am guessing the install would complete successfully.

Nov 8, 2016 7:47 AM in response to Brutius

I was actually able to get 2016 to install in BOOTCAMP. Again I know Server OS is "not supported". What I did is used the standard 5.7 GB ISO and I let the BootCamp process runs until it fails stating, not enough space.

At this point my drive is formatted to FAT32 and is bootable, it failed while copying the files, and it actually fails when copying install.wim since the drive is FAT32 for UEFI and the install.wim is over 4 GB. Then on my Windows PC I copy the contents of the ISO to a folder. The install.wim is located in the sources folder. I used DISM command to split the WIM down into multiple files.

Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:C:\pathtoinstall.wim /SWMFile:D:\pathtoinstalldirectory\install.swm /FileSize:4090

This creates one install.swim just below 4GB and the remaining into install2.swim

I then copied the installation files to the drive that the Mac Mini already formatted.

I then start BOOTCAMP Assistant and tell it to only download the support files and install Windows 10 or later as I already have my install files on the bootable drive I do not need to create an install USB.

This successfully installed Serve 2016 in BOOTCAMP.

Yes I know I could have used any number of Windows based PCs. We actually like the footprint of the Mac Mini and the nearly fanless design without much air intake. We operate systems in a VERY dirty, dusty environments. Rather than purchasing expensive enclosures these Mac Minis are small enough to sit in the network rack on top of the other equipment and they take in nearly no dust. They are more than capable to run as a local print and DNS server. At around $600 the Dell and other small form factor systems do not rival this design in terms of the dust intake.

I realize this is a "hackey" way of getting this done, I realize this is NOT supported, and I realize most will not need or want this info. I just put it out there in hopes that if even one person "wants" to try this may help them get it done.

windows server 2016 via boot camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.