Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I factory reset a apple XServe?

Hello,

So about a month ago I bought my partners company and noticed that he had a XServe from apple. I was just wondering how I could reinstall the server for my own needs without an admin password or username.

Best wishes,

Xserve

Posted on Mar 12, 2016 4:05 AM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2016 12:03 PM in response to The Spif

You can bypass firmware passwords on older Apple hardware by altering the RAM configuration; ie: remove one of the RAM Modules. On reboot reset the Parameter RAM (PRAM) by holding down the cmd+alt+P+R keys simultaneously. I think you only need to do this once although I prefer to reset the PRAM three times. Shut down the XServe, re-install the RAM module you took out previously and reboot as normal. No more firmware password.

To completely 'reset' The XServe I would reformat and reinstall the Server Software. Prior to doing this it's advisable to understand exactly what role you want this server to perform. If you don't want a server you can simply install the client OS - would need the client installer media instead - as the hardware itselfcan be used as any other desktop mac.

How can I factory reset a apple XServe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.