Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY CANT I PLAY MY MUSIC IN AIRPLANE MODE

This is ridiculous. All of my music should be downloaded onto my phone. Not streamed. I even listen to it in a canyon with no reception. But on an airplane all of my music is GONE and when I bough inflight wifi it won't let me download my songs because the "media format is not supported". This is asenine and I'm seriously considering switching to an android. Sick of all this iPhone music BS since the new update! I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MY PAID FOR AND DOWNLOADED MUSIC!

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Mar 13, 2016 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2017 2:37 PM

I am having the same problem and I agree, Apple is getting stupider by the second with this culture of restrictions. All of my music was transferred from my laptop to my iPad from a restore and the same thing is happening. So I don't want to hear anything about downloading. I shouldn't need to download anything to transfer files that are housed on my computer.

I have had too many issues with apples forced updates and holding the content I bought hostage. When this device dies, I'm going back to Android.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2017 2:37 PM in response to DarkJean

I am having the same problem and I agree, Apple is getting stupider by the second with this culture of restrictions. All of my music was transferred from my laptop to my iPad from a restore and the same thing is happening. So I don't want to hear anything about downloading. I shouldn't need to download anything to transfer files that are housed on my computer.

I have had too many issues with apples forced updates and holding the content I bought hostage. When this device dies, I'm going back to Android.

Mar 13, 2016 1:43 PM in response to DarkJean

You may need to make sure the songs have been downloaded to your phone. Using the new Music app - Apple Support

Listen offline

You can download songs—including songs that you bought from the iTunes Store, added from Apple Music, or that were matched or uploaded with Apple Music or iTunes Match—to your device to listen to when you're not connected to the Internet:

1. Tap the More Options icon User uploaded file next to the item.
  2. Tap the download icon User uploaded file to the right of the song's artwork at the top of the More Options menu, or tap Download from the bottom of the menu.
  3. The song downloads to your device.

To see music that you downloaded to listen to offline, go to My Music. Under the Recently Added section, tap the category selector (Artists, Albums, etc.). Only Downloaded Music is at the bottom of the category list. When this setting is on, My Music shows only songs that you downloaded to your device. Turn this setting off to see all of your music, including music stored in iCloud Music Library.When you view an item that you've downloaded to your device, you'll see an offline icon User uploaded file near it, but its exact location varies. For example:

• If you download an entire album or playlist, the offline icon appears when you're looking at the album or playlist in My Music. You'll also see an offline icon when you view a compilation, but not when you view specific genres, artists, or composers.
  • If you download a song, the offline icon appears to the right of each song title.
  • If you download songs from an album, but not the entire album, the offline icon appears to the right of just the songs that you downloaded.

Sep 2, 2017 3:12 PM in response to DarkJean

I'm adding on to say that I have been trying to download music per the instructions for the last hour and I'm only in the C's. Seems like it can only be done ONE AT A TIME!! Obviously this is exactly how I wanted to spend my weekend. Thanks Apple!

I'm putting my music on a hard drive and switching over to Amazon as soon as possible. This is ridiculous. People don't like to be put in cages Apple. Try remembering that.

WHY CANT I PLAY MY MUSIC IN AIRPLANE MODE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.