Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad screen goes foggy intermittently

My ipad screen has suddenly started going foggy when I unlock it. I haven't dropped it or damaged it.

It only happens intermittently, if I lock the screen then unlock it, the display is fine again. Then the problem returns a little while later.

I've tried restarting & resetting the iPad to no avail. I've checked the brightness setting and it's not that.

this is what it looks like when it's affected, it's all washed out & foggy instead of the usual bright colours

User uploaded file

iPad Mini, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2016 1:48 PM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2016 4:15 AM in response to Lisa.j.f

I Also, still believe that it is a hardware issue, but if you really want to rule out software issues, restore the iOS software using iTunes. Backup, restore the iOS, then restore the backup. If the problem persists, restore as new and see if it goes away then. You can add your content back manually.

IF that fails, you can pretty much assume that it is hardware.

Mar 15, 2016 5:44 AM in response to Lisa.j.f

Tossing in my opinion that it's a hardware issue, likely the digitizer. Please feel free to keep trying the restore or reset, but honestly if it persists, you paid too much for the device to have to deal with glitches. ANd if it is hardware it's just a matter of time before it fails totally. ANd if that screen dies you can't enter a passcode to get it backed up. If it were mine I would still take it in to be checked, if for nothing else than to official document that your device has a problem.

iPad screen goes foggy intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.