Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CFPasteboardCreate problem

Hi,

I am regularly having a problem where copy/paste stops working, and drag and drop stops working as well. The console shows dozens of messages like this:

Finder[315]: CFPasteboardRef CFPasteboardCreate(CFAllocatorRef, CFStringRef) : Lock timeout

Whatever the frontmost application is sends those messages. The only solution is to restart. Does anyone have an idea what is happening?

Many thanks,

Aparajita

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2016 10:24 PM

3 replies

Mar 14, 2016 5:23 AM in response to aparajita

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Apr 14, 2016 12:44 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm also having the same issue as can be seen from this thread:

Re: Drag and drop in finder stops working

However logging in and out or booting up in safe mode would fix the problem, and this only happens like once a week. I haven't tried disconnecting all peripherals but I tried quitting all possible programs, including everything that I found that was running in the background, like Alred, Sizeup, RescueTime etc.

May 3, 2016 6:42 AM in response to frimannkjerulf

So, I found out why this is happening but only have a lame workaround:

pboard seems to be locked by something.

The workaround is:

1. Launch
    Activity Monitor
  2. Find
    pboard
    process and quit the process.
  3. Restart applications where you would like to copy from or paste into.
  4. Relaunch (through Option-Command-Escape) Finder to fix dragging and dropping.

CFPasteboardCreate problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.