Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome won't open not launching nothing

I downloaded google chrome and it does absolutely nothing. No pop up Nada!

Here is what fixed it.

Open a finder window or click on the Desktop.

Hold down SHIFT+COMMAND on keyboard then press the letter G (⇧⌘G)

In the new window that just popped up copy and paste this ~/Library/Application Support

Then click Go

In the new window that popped up find the folder named "Google"

Right click on the folder and select Get Info

In the Get Info window click on the lock in bottom right corner

Enter your login password (you need to be an admin) and press enter

Click the + button on bottom left

From the drop down click on Administrators

Then click on select

At the bottom of window you should now see admin Under "Name"

To the right of amin click on "read only" and change to Read & Write

User uploaded file

Now click on the setting cog and select Apply to enclosed like this

User uploaded file

Click OK from the drop down.

Now try to open Google Chrome from the applications folder. This worked for me I hope it works for you.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Mar 14, 2016 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2018 9:38 PM

I followed these steps too and it still didn't work. Next, I went to the google file I found under the ~/Library/Application Support and deleted it. I then went and deleted the Google found under applications and did a fresh install. It worked. My wife is so happy! Thank you for sending me in the right direction.

122 replies

Sep 9, 2018 7:47 AM in response to yitzdcohen

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved and is a couple of years old, less people are likely to look at it. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one.

Before starting your own discussion, try the below and post the results in the new discussion.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Sep 14, 2018 10:43 PM in response to macdaddysolutions

a better approach to this would be to add your personal user account to the list and then give it read&write permissions since it is a personal folder (as indicated by it's location being prefaced by a tilde "~"). Unless there is a specific reason to do so personal folders should only be set to write enabled for the owner and potentially the system. Root and Admin can work around permissions anyway and other users should not have write access and probably not read either, that is the purpose of group folders.

Sep 27, 2018 4:29 PM in response to emma-jade

The folder would be Google. if it doesn't exist, you could create a folder named Google in the ~/Library/Application Support folder. The ~ means the home directory for the account you are logged in to which gets translated to "/Users/<yourlogin>/. Bring up the Finder app with focus on the window, SHIFT+COMMAD+G, in the "Go to folder:" dialog box that pops up, put "~/Library/Application Support" without the double quotes. Create a Google folder if it doesn't exist. Right click on the Google folder and do "Get Info". Expand the "Sharing and Permissions" at the bottom. Click the lock in the bottom right to allow changes. Click the "+" in the bottom left to add another user, admin. Change the rights to Read & Write. Click the cog/gear and apply the changes.

Nov 20, 2018 7:57 AM in response to macdaddysolutions

Hello, I can't even find Chrome in the app store (don't know if there is a pre-setted filter in my macbook pro), so I had to download it directly from Google's website (https://www.google.com/chrome/thank-you.html?brand=GGRF&statcb=0&installdatainde x=empty).

After downloading it, executing the installer and draging & dropping the chrome icon in the Applications folder the Chrome icon appears in the Applications folder among all other apps, but after double clicking it, one pop up appeared (just the first time) warning me that the app came from an internet website and ask me to confirm if I wanted to proceed. I did select "ok" and then nothing happened. The Icon that had appeared in the dock section desappeared and when I try to double click it from the louncher or the finder, same thing happens = chrome icon appears in the dock ,then disappears and then nothing.

Does it any of these sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance. Regards!

Luis Felipe

Nov 20, 2018 8:01 AM in response to Luchodela

Just an updatate. I opened the package that contained the app and executed an installer that showed the details a command line environment. There I could see that it was a permission issue to create a folder and that the path I used before (root)/Library/Application Support/ actually existed but the right one was /Users/ldelabar/Library/Application Support/. After this I followed all the steps and it just worked fine!

Thank you!

Luis Felipe

Aug 11, 2019 6:31 PM in response to macdaddysolutions

Didn't work for me unfortunately running 10.14.6 (iMac).

Strange things is Chrome was working just fine until I restarted my iMac (as I couldn't get the wifi to work) and now only Safari works online... I did try running under safe mode and that works and I've also tried running from the installer disc image and that also works... just not from the Applications menu :(

Google Chrome won't open not launching nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.