Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp 6: How to skip Windows Support Software download

It seems, from the screenshots I saw, that the option to skip the download of support software is gone in BC 6.

I'm trying to install Windows 10. I have the Windows ISO and I already downloaded the AppleBcUpdate.exe file (the support software file) somewhere else than Boot Camp because that is unusually slow.

How to combine the ISO and the support file into a working installation?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 14, 2016 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2016 6:50 PM

If this is a 2015 Mac, unfortunately, you cannot combine them. Your Mac also needs a PreBoot environment, which AppleBcUpdate.exe does not provide. The PE environment provides appropriate drivers to allow the Windows installer to function.

If you download takes too long, please use a wired connection, if at all possible.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2016 6:50 PM in response to Apple Citrus

If this is a 2015 Mac, unfortunately, you cannot combine them. Your Mac also needs a PreBoot environment, which AppleBcUpdate.exe does not provide. The PE environment provides appropriate drivers to allow the Windows installer to function.

If you download takes too long, please use a wired connection, if at all possible.

Mar 15, 2016 3:07 AM in response to Loner T

I think the PITA description is an underestimation. After the support software was finally finished (about 6 hours) BC fails to partition the startup disk. So I partition it as one OSX Journaled partition (using the disk utility), back to BC it asks me to repartition it as 2 partitions (one for os x and the other for windows), then it starts the support software download all over again. This is sick.

Is there anyway to keep that downloaded support software from being deleted or overwritten by BC itself?

Mar 15, 2016 5:41 AM in response to Loner T

I agree it's a bad UI. All the buttons seem to screw me one way or another. For example, after clicking Continue on the first screen, I can only stop the download to start over again later. I can't pause it or something.

I wanted to know where BC saves the software file. I tried lsof | grep -i softwareupdated (softwareupdated is the process in Activity Monitor that is actively downloading in the network tab right now) but nothing comes out. I hate to download the update for a third time and want to keep it.

Mar 15, 2016 9:12 AM in response to Loner T

When the download was finished, BC was stuck at "Saving windows support software..." window for some time. In the meantime I found WindowsSupport.dmg (1.63GB) file in the location you suggested (/Library/Application\ Support/Bootcamp) so I copied it over somewhere else.

Then I clicked the Stop button (the only button that's there) after which BC was stuck again at "Rolling back created partitions...". So I stopped that too.

Starting the whole process over, now that WindowsSupport.dmg is downloaded, BC erases it and wants to download it again.

I close BC and put the file back in place after BC deletes it, starting again seems no change in sight.

I'm sure now that BC is screwed up and nothing about it works. Should I raise this with Apple or what?. I don't know how to install Windows alongside OS X otherwise.

Mar 15, 2016 3:23 PM in response to Loner T

Well, after downloading the drivers, for the 3RD TIME, the process stopped for "Error formatting installation disk" or something like that.

Of course, the driver file is there and will be re-downloaded when I click the "Continue" trap button.

Why not checking the formatting requirements before downloading the ****, if some lazy developer out there forgot, or was directed not to, write "if exists(download_file): then don't download it".

This ***** hard enough. I want to dump OS X just to take a personal revenge.

Mar 15, 2016 9:41 PM in response to Loner T

I actually installed Windows 10 pretty much normally and it all worked. I extracted the ISO to a flash drive and booted that, gone through the routine install, unpacked the WindowsSupport.dmg file stolen from BCA using 7-Zip and then used Bootcamp.exe to install everything.

I can also boot OS X by pressing alt during boot.

Thank you Loner for your help.

Boot Camp 6: How to skip Windows Support Software download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.