Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with install error: Bonjour service failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges

Hi everyone,

I tried opening iTunes and received an error saying components were missing. So, I tried updating to the latest version through Apple Software Update, but received an error while the installation was at the "starting services" part. The error (picture attached below) states: "Service 'Bonjour Service' (Bonjour Service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I tried uninstalling iTunes and all related Apple software a number of times, and then reinstalling (as admin) with my antivirus (ESET) temporarily disabled to no avail. I'm running Windows 8.1 (been meaning to upgrade to Windows 10 but haven't gotten around to it yet). I haven't done anything new on my PC other than install Google Earth a couple weeks ago, so I did a System Restore to before that, but that didn't work either.

If I go to Task Manager --> Services during the install process, the Bonjour service is disabled and right clicking to start does nothing.

I really want to be able to access my music and back-up my iPhone so I can take it in for a repair asap!

Any ideas?

Thank you 🙂

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 14, 2016 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2016 9:07 AM

I'd start by seeing if you can repair Bonjour from the programs and features control panel, and then start the service.

Otherwise for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2016 9:07 AM in response to xMark

I'd start by seeing if you can repair Bonjour from the programs and features control panel, and then start the service.

Otherwise for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Help with install error: Bonjour service failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.