Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation case sensitive XSAN

Hi guys,

I'm using yosemite with case sensitive volumes Xsan.

Unfortunately I had to disable the case sensitive to make backup files on external drives, but then I realized that this option is not recommended for use with san fusion software.

I tried to reactivate the case sensitive option, but even if it is activated, it does not work.

I can not find a solution, unless I reformat the volume xsan.

Does somebody have any idea ?

Thank you.

Max

Posted on Mar 15, 2016 11:00 AM

2 replies

Mar 22, 2016 10:51 PM in response to MacMax7

So you're trying to go from case-insensitive to case-sensitive, but it won't let you? And you're using Server app to do this by checking the unchecked "Use case sensitive file system" option? What version of Server and OS X? What error do you see?

If it fails because the volume could not be stopped, try stopping the volume first in Server app. It may take a minute or two to stop. If the volume won't stop in Server app, you can stop it with cvadmin like this:

sudo cvadmin -e "stop VolumeName"

Once the volume is stopped, try changing the configuration in Server app again. If it failed because the volume wasn't stopping before, it should now work.

Mar 22, 2016 11:13 PM in response to Claudio Sanchez1

Actually, you may need to do the whole change in the command line. You can do it like this.

Stop the volume:

sudo cvadmin -e "stop VolumeName"

Change volume config from case-insensitive to case-sensitive:

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'set :config:globals:caseInsensitive false' /Library/Preferences/Xsan/VolumeName.cfgp

Update the volume's metadata:

sudo cvupdatefs VolumeName

Before you say "yes" to let cvupdatefs do its thing, verify that the only change will be case-insensitivity will be disabled (i.e. it will become case-sensitive).

Activation case sensitive XSAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.