Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you insert an equilateral triangle?

It seems to me that Pages & Keynote included an equilateral triangle (all three sides of equal length) as one of the shapes you could easily insert - and if you scaled its height or length, it became an isosceles triangle (two sides of equal length). In the latest iteration of iWork, however, that no longer seems to be the case. If you insert the non right-angle triangle, you get an isosceles triangle inside a square. That is, it's height and width are the same. That does NOT, however, make it equilateral.

Short of calculating the height based on the desired length of the sides (which is possible, but messy), is there any way to easily make the triangle equilateral?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Mar 15, 2016 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2016 5:47 PM

The only way to accurately create an equilateral triangle is to make a hexagon and delete every second apex.

Due to the limitations of Pages' drawing tools I have created a very large drawing sheet (3600 points square) to make my own basic shapes that I then copy elsewhere.

Peter

12 replies

Mar 15, 2016 5:55 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

You pointed me to the (other) answer: you can decrease the number of points on a polygon to three, and you get an equilateral triangle. The problem with doing it this way is that the size isn't "correct." The dimensions displayed in the formatting panel are related to the original dimensions of the polygon, or the surrounding selection boundary, and don't correlate accurately to the "visible" triangle. Your way results in a "cleaner" object.

Mar 16, 2016 6:43 PM in response to Eric Brooks

You can create a pure vector equilateral triangle on a transparent background purely with shapes, the pen tool, and optionally, guides.

User uploaded file

Steps:

1. Pages Preferences : Rulers. Click both Alignment Guides boxes. You will see why later.
  2. From the Shape tool in the Pages v5.6.1 toolbar, select the last dot on the right (shapes on transparent backgrounds that look white), and pick the circle shape.
    1. While still selected, click the Arrange tab, and set Text wrap to None, and then from the size section, directly enter 2.0 in for width and height values, then click Constrain proportions.
    2. Drag/Center the circle in your document. Alignment guides will automatically appear as cross vertical and horizontal center.
  3. Duplicate your circle by pressing the option key while dragging it straight downward until its upper arc intersects the center-point of the original circle. This circle will have inherited its settings from the original circle, so no need to visit the Arrange tab.

I have added both horizontal and vertical guides for additional visual alignment.
    User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

4. From the Shape Toolbar item, select the Draw with Pen item. Carefully, and continuously, click on the left intersection point of the two circles, and then draw across to its right counterpart, and then draw up to the top guide/circle intersection point, and then finish by drawing back to the starting box, and clicking once to complete the equilateral triangle. From start to finish, you never release the mouse button. This is one contiguous line drawing.
  5. You can now select the triangle, and from the Style tab, set borders to None, and Fill to your desired color. Your triangle is enclosed in a transparent bounding box.
    1. You may wish to keep this for future use. Press command+A to select all objects, Group, and then save
    2. View menu : Guides : Clear All Guides on Page
  6. Save the equilateral triangle as an image for reuse.
    1. Select the triangle.
    2. Copy
    3. Launchpad : Preview
      1. File menu : New from Clipboard.
      2. The triangle will appear on a transparent background.
      3. Export... Option key + Format: (pick your image save format).

Mar 16, 2016 6:10 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

For anyone who needs the steps for my method:

User uploaded file

1. Click on the Shape tool on the Tool bar and chose the Pentagon (multiple side shape)

2. Pull round the green dot to increase the sides to 6

3. Menu > Format > Shapes and Lines > Make Shape Editable (option command shift e)

4. click on every 2nd point and hit Delete

5. Toolbar > Format > Arrange > Size > Width to set the length of each side

Dead accurate, appeals to my Teutonic sense of precision.

Peter

Apr 29, 2016 7:49 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Actually, there is an even easier way to do this (which you are doing in a roundabout way). When you click the green dot, you rotate clockwise to expand the number of sides to 6, as per your instructions. However, if you rotate counterclockwise, you can reduce the number of sides to 3, resulting in the same equilateral triangle. I believe when you delete your 3 points, you are doing the same thing, just with more steps. Also, they may have fixed this in more recent updates 🙂

Apr 29, 2016 8:29 AM in response to dswihart

Hi dswihart.

However, if you rotate counterclockwise, you can reduce the number of sides to 3, resulting in the same equilateral triangle.

Thanks for that tip.

User uploaded file

I inserted a Pentagon shape, and rotated it counterclockwise by the green dot to three sides.

To confirm that it is equilateral, I inserted Line shapes and rotated them in Format Panel > Arrange > Rotate (Text boxes added to show the rotation angle).

Tested in Pages 5.6.1

Regards,

Ian.

Apr 29, 2016 11:03 AM in response to dswihart

There is a reason I do things the way I do.

Using your method Pages retains the bounding box of the original shape, basically the circumferancing circle it is calculated from, and you can not accurately size the equilateral triangle.

User uploaded file

It is important to have the sides be what you specify them.

User uploaded file

Editing the shape forces Pages to recalculate the bounding box and you can then use the shape accurately in whatever other construction you want.

This works equally as well in Pages '09, but generally the boolean operations in Pages 5.6.1 make it the better drawing tool.

Just avoid complexity or large numbers of objects in Pages 5, it rapidly grinds to a creeping stutter or goes into the eternal spinning beachball, even on a very powerful MacPro. Just badly written.

Peter

How do you insert an equilateral triangle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.