Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Offline repeat banned by Apple?

Is it true that Apple banned all apps from the Appstore which can download videos to play offline using a repeat function?

This to force people to use th music app?

LIke the old Video D/L Lite app.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 8

Posted on Mar 15, 2016 4:12 PM

20 replies

Mar 15, 2016 7:11 PM in response to Gold333

I sincerely doubt it's a ploy to make people use Apple's app, likely Apple responding to pressure from copyright holders taking issue with people copying or duplicating videos then redistributing those videos and making money doing it.

I trust offline videos more than I do online ones...largely because for my use you can't always trust the internet to be on and working when you need it. However those with less than honest intentions can take a video, download it for viewing offline and then repost or basically steal it. We had a situation at work where we taped something, put it up on youtube, and later discovered that someone had downloaded it, edited it and was happily getting revenue from youtube using the video that we shot. (thing is, we're a state agency, we would have let them have a copy if they'd asked. but they chose to steal.)

Unfortunately, to prevent the 'naughty' from doing things, those without ulterior motives also get caught in the crossfire

Mar 16, 2016 2:43 PM in response to Skydiver119

Downloading from youtube isnt the issue. The issue is that Apple bans "file downloaders" which have a repeat video/file function and that can play in the background, i.e from the lockscreen swipe up panel.

IF you have an app that features these two functionalities try to backup your iphone and then reset and restore it. You will find the app has mysteriously disappeared among the "some items couldn't be restored" list and disappeared off all your purchased app lists.

THis so that Apples native music app has no competition.

I Would LOVE to be proven WRONG and be shown a video/file downloader app that can be played from lock screen and has an offline repeat function.

Mar 16, 2016 2:55 PM in response to Gold333

Downloading from youtube isnt the issue

Actually it is - or, at least, is probably related. Why? Because Youtube terms forbid downloading anything unless they provide a download button and there isn't much content with one. But, just about everyone either tries or does it anyway because they aren't aware of the fact that they are, in fact, stealing someone else's property (or don't care).

Mar 16, 2016 3:45 PM in response to babowa

I WOULD LOVE IT IF SOMEONE SMARTER THAN ME CAN PROVE ME WRONG.

I'm the one who started this topic and never mentioned Youtube.

CreativeLive and Kelby training are places with training programs in mp3/mp4 format which you can download after you pay for them.

From these sites you could download the streaming video using an app like the (now banned by Apple) Video D/L Lite by publisher George Young, or the My Media app ( also banned by Apple this year), and listen to them from the lock screen. (just the audio).

I guess I am different to the typical Apple user who gets fat on tv shows and movies in that I like to do actual work with my equipment.

Apple BANNED these so that Apples NATIVE MUSIC APP has no COMPETITION. It's like Microsoft with the IE issue that got brought infront of the Antitrust commision on unfair business practices and they had to pay billions in fines.

IF you have an app that features these two functionalities (1. play audio from downloaded video in background, i.e. from lockscreen 2. has a repeat function) try to backup your iphone and then reset and restore it. You will find the app has mysteriously disappeared among the "some items couldn't be restored" list and disappeared off all your purchased app lists.

Apps like Onlineplayer or IDM Loader were not banned because they can download video but stop playing the audio as soon as you lock your phone, so you waste battery by having the screen on. Apps like Video D/L were banned in 2013 for having a repeat function. MyMedia was banned this year because it DID allow the audio to be played when the lock button was pressed. All these bans to force people to use the native Apple music app.

I Would LOVE to be proven WRONG and be shown a video/file downloader app that can play audio from lock screen and has a repeat button.

Mar 16, 2016 3:50 PM in response to bobseufert

Apple banned apps which can play downloaded video files from the lock screen with a repeat function so that Apple's native music app has no competition.

There are no apps with this functionality In the Appstore.

VIdeo D/L was banned in 2012

MY Media was banned in 2015

Apps like IDM loader still exist because they stop playing when the lock button is pressed and cannot be restarted from the lock screen slide up panel.

There is your proof.

Mar 16, 2016 4:06 PM in response to Gold333

Gold333 wrote:

I'm the one who started this topic and never mentioned Youtube.

CreativeLive and Kelby training are places with training programs in mp3/mp4 format which you can download after you pay for them.

From these sites you could download the streaming video using an app like the (now banned by Apple) Video D/L Lite by publisher George Young, or the My Media app ( also banned by Apple this year), and listen to them from the lock screen. (just the audio).

I guess I am different to the typical Apple user who gets fat on tv shows and movies in that I like to do actual work with my equipment.

Apple BANNED these so that Apples NATIVE MUSIC APP has no COMPETITION. It's like Microsoft with the IE issue that got brought infront of the Antitrust commision on unfair business practices and they had to pay billions in fines.

I don't know about others. I don't work for Apple and have no way of knowing the reason why they ban some apps. I'm sure not all Apple employees know the reason either. You should contact Kelby training and ask them if they offer iOS app to watch their training videos offline.

By the way, Youtube Red (a paid subscription service https://www.youtube.com/red), not to be mistaken for red tube, offers video download for offline viewing. If their training in on Youtube paid service, you may be able to download those videos.

Mar 16, 2016 4:12 PM in response to Gold333

"No one can document that something does not exist."

Is that why you cannot provide docmentation tha Apple caused the disappearance of these apps. I provided the reason given by my video downloading app. You provided nothing. Not a Google link, nothing from the developer, nothing. If Apple banned the apps there is docmentation of that. I don't want documentation that they are not there.

Offline repeat banned by Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.