Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Microsoft Excel File Corrupted

I am having problems opening files on my ipad pro using the Excel program for ios. I can work on a file (located in Dropbox) several times and then for no reason that I can determine, I can no longer open the file...getting the message 'cannot open file, file corrupted'. I can still open the file on any of my other computers, but the only way to get it to open again on the iPad is to do a 'save as' command and rename it on the computer. This is a huge issue as I have converted to traveling with my iPad pro instead of my laptop, so when on the road for business, I am stuck with files that cannot be opened. Does anybody have any knowledge of this problem that can shed some light on a fix? Otherwise the iPad Pro is going to become a home decoration and I'll go back to the laptop and an external wifi device...

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 16, 2016 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2016 8:31 AM

you will likely get better support at microsoft https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Excel-for-iPad-Help-6b5dc2e1-a8e4-48e6- bb69-cb9a3964bc91

14 replies

Apr 9, 2016 8:03 AM in response to Csound1

Oh I tried Microsoft. Their online support tried a couple of obvious things (delete and reinstall) that didn't work. Then they referred me to their telephone support. Telephone support tried something more complicated (using MS OneDrive instead of Dropbox) that still didn't work. Then they referred me to the same online support site I had started with. When I pointed out that I had already done that I was told there was nothing else they could do. Then they tried to sell me Office 365, explaining "our free apps don't always work."

Microsoft support has always been aimed at people who simply don't know how to use their products. If you encounter an actual bug they will try to pass the buck, or up-sell you. I'm just trying to get their software to perform a basic function.

Apr 9, 2016 8:33 AM in response to Paul Schleuse

well ms are not alone in being guilty of having support aimed at people who are doing it wrong though

but you can investigate more to find a pattern like

are the issue with both files created on the ios device or on a computer and then later edited with the ios app

if the file container more advanced features such as macro's or if made on a computer they were in a language other then the

ios version, ms even localize their macro programming language

there is likely something which differ from the sunshine scenario that I'm sure ms's and apple (because apple test apps before released on the app store) tried or though of

Apr 9, 2016 10:34 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for the reply. I've done some more experimenting, and here's what I've found:

If I create workbook on my Mac and save it in Dropbox or OneDrive, I can open and edit it in Excel for ios. However, if I open and edit an existing workbook on the Mac, and then save it, I cannot subsequently open it in Excel for ios (I get the "file is corrupted" error message).

I tried using Numbers instead of Excel, but Numbers for ios no longer integrates with Dropbox. (?!)

My workbooks do contain simple formulas, but no macros or other unusual elements, and there are no language conflicts.

I know this may not be an Apple problem, but any further advice is welcome. If I can't use my new iPad Pro for this basic function I might as well throw it in the trash.

Apr 9, 2016 3:10 PM in response to Jamiepic

Yes, in a pinch I can do this, but only if I know in advance when I'm at my computer that I'm going to need that workbook on the iPad.

I wonder if the problem is that Excel for ios sees that the file has been changed since it was last opened on the iPad and therefore thinks it's corrupted. In other words it isn't set to work on documents in shared resources like OneDrive or Dropbox.

Apr 10, 2016 4:43 AM in response to Superstar1963

I broke down and subscribed to Office 365 on my mac. If you pay for the iOS app, you actually get the software on 1 desktop included in the monthly price. I had been running a paid copy of Office 2011 on my Mac.

Lo and behold, everything works now. I wonder if MSFT is just pushing everyone to adopt Office 365 on a subscription basis? Not the root I wanted to go, but I needed functionality back and couldn't wait around for this to get resolved.

iOS Microsoft Excel File Corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.