Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD does not recognise mp4 file

Hi,

I have spent the entire morning trying to burn a home movie on to DVD. IT used to be simple, then I upgraded my software (iMovie and Yosemite) and now it can't be done.

I am running iMovie 10.1.1 and iDVD 7.1.2 and El Capitan 10.11.3

In iMovie I export the file using 'File/Share/File...' then selecting 540p format as this creates the smallest sized file (to fit onto the DVD I want to burn to). Once done, I open up iDVD and try to import the new file. It says "Unsupported File Type : Unknown format"

What on Earth am I doing wrong ? I am close to going crazy.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 16, 2016 7:43 AM

12 replies

Mar 16, 2016 9:43 AM in response to calvinbrady

Have you tried dragging the file from the hard drive into the open iDVD menu window? Do you get the same response?

Does the movie have an audio track? it will not encode in iDVD without an audio track. Does the movie play OK in Quicktime Player?

Just created a movie without audio from slides in iMovie 10.1.1, exported at 540p and it imported into iDVD without a problem. However, as I said, it would not encode.

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2016 12:43 PM in response to Old Toad

Ok, so oddly enough I exported the file from Quicktime (as the lowest res I think) then loaded that to the iDVD and burnt that onto a DVD. And it worked !

So that's something. But it almost means the route I now need to take to get my home videos on disc are to transfer the movies from my source to the Mac, adjust them iMovie, export them from iMovie using 'Share', Load them in Quicktime then export them again. Then Load them in iDVD and burn.

SURELY this can not be the easiest way to do all of this ? I cant believe the end of the DVD has come so quickly.

PS I don't use an iTunes/DRM music, its all just off my video camera.

iDVD does not recognise mp4 file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.