Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 iMac - screen issues

Hi all,

I put my iMac (circa 2008) to sleep last night and this morning when I tried to log in it seemed to be having major issues. The display is all messed up, and it takes awhile to log in. I haven't had any issues with the system other than some slowness since upgrading to Yosemite. I've turned it off for the time being.

Here are some images that I think might help more than me trying to explain the situation.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, screen issues

Posted on Mar 16, 2016 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2016 8:36 AM

Hi ..

Possibly the graphics card causing the distortion.

If you can, run Apple Diagnostics or the Apple Hardware Test

7 replies

Mar 17, 2016 8:35 AM in response to nazzitron

nazzitron wrote:

Thanks Carolyn. Tried the suggested steps. The computer loaded something once but it was so difficult to maneuver that I wasn't able to sort anything out.. Now when I try to restart, it gets stuck on a grey screen after the first image posted deviously competes Loadi the bar.

That is a bad graphics card -- they can fail overnight -- the card can be reflowed/repaired -- or replaced. If you are not handy - and do not want to purchase a new mac - a third party repair shop may be able to fix it for you. (make sure they have apple expert)

Mar 20, 2016 3:04 PM in response to Bill the turner

That's a pretty long life-span for a computer - even though I had hoped it would just keep working away forever...

I went with a replacement MacBook. Right now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to access the old iMac as a external drive to pull data from it. I had important data saved on an external but there were some things in the last few days before it died that I didn't get to backup.

2008 iMac - screen issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.