Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert PICT to JPEG

Old Toad Mar 6, 2008 3:42 AM Re: Changing Apple PICT to JPG
in response to Mark McGee
Mark:

You can use Resize! to batch convert a folder of pict file to jpg. Just use the Custom quality level of 100 and Proportional resizing set to

100%. A new folder with the converted files will be created. You can check to make sure the resulting quality is satisfactory since the

originals are not touched.

Just a quick note to say that this advice from 2008 is still valid - I just downloaded the free Resize! (in OS X 10.6.8) and used it to convert a bunch of PICT files to JPEG. The PICT files were created in OS 8.6 and 9.2.2

iMac Core i5 12GB RAM-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Mar 17, 2016 6:51 AM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2016 2:21 AM in response to a brody

Thanks. For some reason, I always worked with PICT files when using Classic Macs, and JPEGs not until OS X. In those days I tended to convert using Photoshop.

The frustrating thing about Intel Macs is that Preview won't load PICTs, while Finder will let you see them via right-click/Quicklook, but there's no Save As.. option to convert them, such as Preview offers. Currently I use File Viewer to see them (I have few PICT files now, mostly archive material) but it was good to find something to convert them permanently.

Mar 18, 2016 10:09 PM in response to christopher rigby1

christopher rigby1 wrote:

...while Finder will let you see them via right-click/Quicklook….

Perhaps a faster or more convenient way to use Quicklook - while in Finder, click once on the file in order to select it, then press the Spacebar. You can then use the arrow keys to display additional files in turn; or press the Spacebar again to close Quicklook.

Mar 24, 2016 5:02 AM in response to Don Archibald

Don Archibald wrote:

christopher rigby1 wrote:

...while Finder will let you see them via right-click/Quicklook….

Perhaps a faster or more convenient way to use Quicklook - while in Finder, click once on the file in order to select it, then press the Spacebar. You can then use the arrow keys to display additional files in turn; or press the Spacebar again to close Quicklook.

Thanks - but sadly QuickLook is only what it says on the tin : "Look". You can't do anything more than that, not even the Save As.. function.

How to convert PICT to JPEG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.