Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling Noise Macbook Pro Retina Early 2015

About three weeks ago my Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2015) that I only bought at the very end of July 2015, has been making a weird and loud crackling like noise towards the upper right side of the laptop. It sounds like a bad hard drive going out but obviously with the Macbook Pro Retina's having SSD that is not possible. I took it into an Apple store about 10 days after it first happening because I was in transition from one country to another, however during that time I did not use it at all. I took it into the Apple store, luckily right before I was going to leave the genius bar the noise started happening and they heard it. They didn't know what it was but they said they would take it and clean the fans and look in the inside. Diagnostic checks turned out picture perfect and no issues turned up there either. Fast-forward a week later and I picked up my laptop, they said they cleaned it but didn't see anything inside that would be the cause. I took it back hoping it was fixed, but after about 24 hours the noise happened again. The noise comes on randomly, sometimes I can use the computer for many hours before it happens (or doesn't happen) or it will start about 20 minutes after turning it on. I'm trying to fit in another trip to the Apple Store nearest to me but it takes a lot of planning due to my schedule and the time to get there.

As I write this it came on for the first time today but lasted maybe 3-5 minutes and has since stopped. The computer is not overly warm, there is no burning smell coming from anywhere and the fan is not running at high speeds. Just wondering if there has been issues with this type of noise or sound previously or if anyone thinks they know what it could be.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 17, 2016 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 2:30 PM

check to reset the NVRAM: How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

that worked for me.

Good luck!

47 replies

Oct 29, 2017 11:17 PM in response to parkermatt21

Had the same problem with my Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro. I looked around some forums and someone suggested doing a SMC Reset and it worked! Super simple process:

1. Shutdown your MacBook Air / MacBook Pro
  2. Connect the power adapter to the Mac
  3. On the MacBook / Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
  4. Release all keys and the power button at the same time – the little light on the MagSafe adapter may change colors briefly to indicate the SMC has reset
  5. Boot your Mac as usual

Source: http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/24/when-and-how-to-reset-your-mac-system-management- controller-smc/

Let me know if that works for you guys.

Jan 17, 2017 6:36 AM in response to Odarps

We had a snow storm here when my appointment was scheduled, as it is a 2 hr drive to the store, and 2 hrs back, I did not go.

And then the next day the noise was gone anyway. Strange, it has not come back in the last week. I still have my case number and a recording of the noise. Here is a recording: http://westsideav.com/MBPpopNoise.wav

If it comes back I will reschedule a visit.

Mar 3, 2017 8:12 AM in response to spawn777

I have the exact same issue with a 2015 15" retina macbook pro. Apple cleaned the fan and the diagnostics indicated everything was fine, but the sound happened again after my genius visit.

It seems more likely to happen when I have the laptop propped up on a insulating service that doesn't draw away the heat, like a pillow. The noise seems more situated under the top right of the keyboard, and when its happened the top right underside feels hot but not crazily so.

I can't make another genius appointment for some months but I can take it to an authorized apple tech to maybe clean the fan again or possibly install a new one

Mar 21, 2017 6:00 PM in response to parkermatt21

I have this issue, too. Awful noise- very startling especially when it's quiet and you are focused. Started about a week ago. I've had the computer since Jan 2016 and used it LIGHTLY at most. It does NOT appear to be based on the surface the computer is on- is just happened and my computer is on wood, is cool, and has only been on about an hour or less. NOT ok for a computer that cost $2,000, especially buying the 'gold standard' for laptops. And one reason I spent this money happily is I DON'T have time for issues like this.

May 19, 2017 10:21 AM in response to spawn777

Hi, all,

Same exact thing (verbatim) happened to me this week. It started on three days ago and, initially, was quite loud and now is intermittent. I've scheduled a visit to the genius bar but I'm not too hopeful after looking at these entries.

Has anyone heard back from Apple or been able to fix the issue? I read somewhere that it could be dust or particles in the fan but it appears that hasn't been the case for the folks here.

Jul 12, 2017 10:35 AM in response to parkermatt21

I am having the same issue. It just started today (I got my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) last September 2016 and have had it almost a year). I was just traveling and went from my relatively humid environment to a dry environment and back to humid--I'm not sure if that would have any effect on anything. I did not use my computer at all while traveling, but now turning it back on it is making the crackling noise in the right top corner. Nothing has happened that would have damaged it and nothing out of the ordinary has happened to it to my knowledge.

Have people found it helpful to go to the genius bar? Has Apple acknowledged this issue? Does it typically seem to be the fan or speaker? Has anyone noticed something that provokes/enables this symptom?

Cheers.

Crackling Noise Macbook Pro Retina Early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.