Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the OSX 10.4 Install DVD be installed on a totally wiped Mac?

I have an iBook G3, with the slot-loading drive type. At the moment it doesn't have an OS installed. I found a 10.4 install DVD on craigslist for super cheap, but from what I know this type of disc requires that a previous installation of 10.3 be on the hard drive. I have no idea, and I don't want to buy the DVD only to find that it doesn't work. Here's a photo of the disc:

User uploaded file

Can it be installed on a Mac without any version of OSX on the hard drive, and if not, is there any workaround or modification I can do to make it work?

iBook G3-OTHER, null

Posted on Mar 17, 2016 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2016 5:21 PM

There is a part number on the DVD, so that may be a way to find out if the 'install DVD' is or

is not a drop-in installer or upgrade for earlier OS X. From what is visible in the image, it does

not appear to be an update for Panther 10.3 version. And a grey-label would indicate the disc

was intended for use with a specific build version Mac only. So far, it poses as a full install DVD.

The G3 iBook (white and colors) did not ship with a slot-loading optical drive. Is yours a G4?

From what I can tell by looking that the Install DVD Tiger image you posted, it most of the

numbers match a retail Tiger full install DVD, that I have one still in the official retail box.

Mine says:

Mac OS X Tiger includes XCode 2

Version 10.4 2Z691-5305-A

If you have access to the actual DVD, try a search of the item by the part number; it is obscured

in the image you posted, so I can't tell from what I see enough to search. And the numbers I do

see are not among those shown in MacTracker database which shows all OS X build versions.

{One thing about a Tiger install DVD, is the content of the disc is compatible to the capacity of a

single-layer media; so if needed to, one could make an emergency backup disc with older style

optical drive. Later OS X versions have more content and a dual-layer drive would be needed.}

Should the cost for the DVD be actually cheap and a full retail disc, that may be great deal.

Sites such as welovemacs and others who used to deal with out-of-stock older system install

media, you sometimes can see what they're asking should they have a few for sale again.

This page has images of the labels of original media retail older OS X install discs:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2101301/advice-from-an-apple-tech-how-to-get-old -mac-os-x-install-discs.html

{While I have some original OS X retail media discs on DVD, the oldest I have is Jaguar or Puma;

I have Tiger in the retail box & the image you show looks like an install-in-any supported Mac DVD.}

Are you sure your iBook is a white G3, or is it a G4? You state it is a slot-loading optical drive;

the G3 models all had tray-loading optical drives. I used to own a first model dualUSB white G3

and no iBook G3 models use a 'slot-loading' optical drive. Not until the first G4 iBook... And I

have a last model G4 iBook in near mint condition, still. It shipped with grey-label Tiger 10.4.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2016 5:21 PM in response to ArcFlash20

There is a part number on the DVD, so that may be a way to find out if the 'install DVD' is or

is not a drop-in installer or upgrade for earlier OS X. From what is visible in the image, it does

not appear to be an update for Panther 10.3 version. And a grey-label would indicate the disc

was intended for use with a specific build version Mac only. So far, it poses as a full install DVD.

The G3 iBook (white and colors) did not ship with a slot-loading optical drive. Is yours a G4?

From what I can tell by looking that the Install DVD Tiger image you posted, it most of the

numbers match a retail Tiger full install DVD, that I have one still in the official retail box.

Mine says:

Mac OS X Tiger includes XCode 2

Version 10.4 2Z691-5305-A

If you have access to the actual DVD, try a search of the item by the part number; it is obscured

in the image you posted, so I can't tell from what I see enough to search. And the numbers I do

see are not among those shown in MacTracker database which shows all OS X build versions.

{One thing about a Tiger install DVD, is the content of the disc is compatible to the capacity of a

single-layer media; so if needed to, one could make an emergency backup disc with older style

optical drive. Later OS X versions have more content and a dual-layer drive would be needed.}

Should the cost for the DVD be actually cheap and a full retail disc, that may be great deal.

Sites such as welovemacs and others who used to deal with out-of-stock older system install

media, you sometimes can see what they're asking should they have a few for sale again.

This page has images of the labels of original media retail older OS X install discs:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2101301/advice-from-an-apple-tech-how-to-get-old -mac-os-x-install-discs.html

{While I have some original OS X retail media discs on DVD, the oldest I have is Jaguar or Puma;

I have Tiger in the retail box & the image you show looks like an install-in-any supported Mac DVD.}

Are you sure your iBook is a white G3, or is it a G4? You state it is a slot-loading optical drive;

the G3 models all had tray-loading optical drives. I used to own a first model dualUSB white G3

and no iBook G3 models use a 'slot-loading' optical drive. Not until the first G4 iBook... And I

have a last model G4 iBook in near mint condition, still. It shipped with grey-label Tiger 10.4.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Can the OSX 10.4 Install DVD be installed on a totally wiped Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.