Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

edirol fa101

Hi everyone...

I am using 2012 mid macbook pro i 5 with el capitan...

I was using windows with my pc for music recorings but i decided to use mac now

I have sound card named edirol fa101 firewire

I coundt find any drievrs for el capitan and

No audio software for mac for firewire audio devices...

Its not so old model... so why its not working...

What can i do?

Thanks

2012 mid mac book pro-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 18, 2016 1:42 AM

10 replies

Mar 19, 2016 1:08 PM in response to visaoglu

Hey visaoglu,
I understand that you are trying to use your 3rd Party sound card or MIDI device, but can't find the drivers. I can help you with getting that working.
Typically with 3rd party MIDI devices, you don't need any drivers for a Mac as they are plug in play. What you will need to do is run the MIDI setup app that is already on your Mac and it will walk you through how to get you setup with this device. Take a look at the first article below for more details on this.
Audio MIDI Setup: How to test for MIDI function
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201840

You also have the option to select the input for any type of recording that you might need to do and that is done in System Preferences. Take a look at the article below for more details.
OS X El Capitan: Adjust your computer’s sound input settings
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22070

Take it easy

Mar 19, 2016 1:57 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

The fa 101 is not compatible with OS X (any version) so its never going to work.

That's not what the manual says.

It is a reasonably old piece of kit, but Edirol/Roland have made CoreAudio and Core MIDI compliant hardware that usually works without drivers on OS X. I have an FA-66 which has worked well on OS X from Snow Leopard up to the present without any drivers.

To the OP: You have plugged in the FA-101 to the Mac, rebooted, and it still is not showing in Audio MIDI Setup app? Is it listed in the System Information? (Apple menu > hold down alt and click on System Information. Then click on FireWire in sidebar.)

Mar 19, 2016 8:42 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

The fa 101 lists drivers for every version of Windows (up to 10) and OS9, there are none for current versions of OS X.

But as you know better you can tell the OP how to get it to work.

If you look closely it says that drivers are not needed with OS X as it is built into the OS. However, it was originally released when 10.4 was current, so it is possible that it doesn't work with El Capitan.

Mar 20, 2016 2:34 AM in response to visaoglu

1. Make sure the cable works. Test with another cable, or test the cable with another FW device (better, as this may also confirm that the FW port is working.)

2. Check that the device is listed in System Information (Hold Alt and select Apple menu). Click on FireWire in the sidebar, the device should be listed.

It should also be listed in the Audio section. Click on Audio in the sidebar and see the list.

3. If the device still isn't listed in Audio MIDI app, then it's likely that it doesn't work with El Capitan.

4. Ask Roland for support on whether the device works on OS X, as it's not clear from their website.

Mar 20, 2016 5:32 AM in response to visaoglu

FWIW, the edirol fa101 interface most likely has firmware which is not compatible with El Capitan. Seeing Roland discontinued the product, it's unlikely there will be a firmware update, assuming there is even a way to update its firmware. Your best bet if you don't want to just throw it away, is to install a version of OSX that did work with the device on a partition or an external drive and boot that.

edirol fa101

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.