Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power mac G4

How can I download some recovery disc for my powermac G4 ? or a startup disc ?

null-OTHER, iOS 8.4, POWER MAC G4

Posted on Mar 18, 2016 8:38 PM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2016 10:21 PM in response to Graigster

Hi, you can't download it legally anyway, or even safely if you did find it.

Leopard requirements/10.5.x...

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)

* DVD drive for installation

* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

Classic/OS9 Apps no longer supported.

Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mac+os+x+leopard+retail+10.5

There are workarounds if the 867MHz CPU is the only hangup...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leopardassist/

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/unsupported.html

Tough without the Install disc, but some things to try...

Does it boot to Single User Mode, CMD+s keys at bootup, if so try...

/sbin/fsck -fy

Repeat until it shows no errors fixed.

(Space between fsck AND -fy important).

Mar 20, 2016 7:29 AM in response to Graigster

I just bought this power mac and i am new to the mac worldI have been a Linux and windows person for years. This machine is a 1.5 ghz processore looks like it came with about 2 gigs of ram model is a M8570 . And the sert of disc they gave me with it are grey and on them is Mac OS X .and there was 2 disc and when i Booted up with it it told me that this dic could be used to start my machine or something along the line like that so choose network boot and the machine has never booted since..can you help or is it a worthless cause ...I only sunk 250.00 into it if I lost it no big deal I just wanted something to learn mac on .LOL

Mar 20, 2016 9:51 AM in response to Graigster

can you help or is it a worthless cause ...I only sunk 250.00 into it if I lost it no big deal I just wanted something to learn mac on .

It's not a good machine on which to learn Macs due to its extreme age. It will give you a nice snapshot of what Mac users did a dozen years ago.

You have some variant of the "Mirored Drive Door" (we call them "MDD's") PowerMac G4--great computers but the last of that series were discontinued in June 2004 and can run no higher Mac OS than OS 10.5 Leopard; today the Mac OS is 10.11, the numbers following the decimal being the important ones. So, even if the OS were maxed out at 10.5, yours is now six major OS changes out of date.

No current software will run on that computer. Unless you already own old Mac titles contemporary with that model, your sources of software will be limited, sending you into the pre-owned market with Mac Users Groups (good) or auction sites where many tricksters swim (not good).

Still, if you can get righteous system software, the computer has advantages as a network storage device. It will hold up to four PATA hard drives. PATA drives are harder to find now and seldom exceed 750MB capacity but you could have 3GB of storage. The M8570s like yours also have Gigabit Ethernet allowing fast files transfers. My G4 MDD is on our home network so I can share files with a number of other devices.

Power mac G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.