Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknow Error on El Capitan install

I'm getting an unknown error when i try to install el capitan on a mid 2011 macbook pro. this error occurs when i enter my apple id. can anyone tell me how to get past this problem?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Mar 19, 2016 2:54 PM

24 replies

Mar 19, 2016 3:14 PM in response to ransomryan111

ransomryan111 wrote:

Error reads:

"An unexpected error occurred while signing in.

AMD-Action:authenticate:SP"

This is a used macbook pro that i just bought on Ebay. So I don't have a hard copy of OS X. I'm not the most computer savvy person, so please be detailed in any help responses. Thanks!!!!!

There is no "hard copy" of OS X, not since Mavericks. All upgrades/updates are done via direct download from the App Store. Also, you still haven't answered my question — are you trying to upgrade the computer to El Capitan, or are you trying to update El Capitan? There's a difference. Not that it sounds like it matters, because if I had to guess, the original owner didn't do what they were supposed to do before selling the computer.

Mar 19, 2016 3:27 PM in response to pinkstones

when the computer arrived, OS X was not installed. when i attempted to power on the computer, i came to a grey screen with the "prohibited" symbol (like the ghost busters 🙂). so i restarted it in recovery/repair. then under OS X Utilities, i selected reinstall OS X (reinstall a new copy of OS X). the next window says OS X El Capitan: To set up the installation of OS X 10.11 click continue. Next it verifies my eligibilty and asks me to agree terms. Next i tell it to install on Macintosh HD, as that is my only option (Recovery HD is locked). I click install and am asked to sign in to download from the App Store. Here is where I get the same unexpected error message. So now I'm stuck.

Mar 19, 2016 3:31 PM in response to ransomryan111

ransomryan111 wrote:

when the computer arrived, OS X was not installed. when i attempted to power on the computer, i came to a grey screen with the "prohibited" symbol (like the ghost busters 🙂). so i restarted it in recovery/repair. then under OS X Utilities, i selected reinstall OS X (reinstall a new copy of OS X). the next window says OS X El Capitan: To set up the installation of OS X 10.11 click continue. Next it verifies my eligibilty and asks me to agree terms. Next i tell it to install on Macintosh HD, as that is my only option (Recovery HD is locked). I click install and am asked to sign in to download from the App Store. Here is where I get the same unexpected error message. So now I'm stuck.

Yeah, as I said, the original owner didn't do what they were supposed to do. Before selling you the computer, they were supposed to reinstall the operating system themselves. It sounds like the computer wants the original owner's Apple ID and password, and since you don't have it, it won't let you proceed. You need to find a way to get in contact with the person who sold it to you, possibly arranging for you to mail it back so they can take care of what they needed to take care of.

What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 19, 2016 3:39 PM in response to pinkstones

pinkstones wrote:

ransomryan111 wrote:

i did not set up the macbook. this is exactly as it was when it arrived.

You're missing the point. The original owner did not do what they were supposed to do before selling you the computer, so the computer is in essence, completely worthless to you right now. You need to get a hold of them and ask if you can send it back so they can reinstall El Capitan themselves, following the directions I linked to in my most recent response to you. Otherwise, you can't use it. It's just a paperweight.

That is not true, there is nothing to stop a new owner from erasing and reinstalling OS X on it.

Mar 19, 2016 3:42 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

pinkstones wrote:

ransomryan111 wrote:

i did not set up the macbook. this is exactly as it was when it arrived.

You're missing the point. The original owner did not do what they were supposed to do before selling you the computer, so the computer is in essence, completely worthless to you right now. You need to get a hold of them and ask if you can send it back so they can reinstall El Capitan themselves, following the directions I linked to in my most recent response to you. Otherwise, you can't use it. It's just a paperweight.

That is not true, there is nothing to stop a new owner from erasing and reinstalling OS X on it.

Why quote a post you can see I edited to reflect the fact I was mistaken about something? What's the point of that?

Unknow Error on El Capitan install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.