Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder search not working

Finder search repeatedly stops working: File->Find just spins away, never finds anything, but Spotlight works fine. The only 'fix' I've found is to do a restart, which usually works for a while. I've called Apple Support, and their only suggestion was to do a restart.

Something is getting corrupted, but I have no idea what. It seems silly to have to do a restart just to be able to do such a basic function as finding a file. Why would Search fail while Spotlight seems unaffected?

TIA for any suggestions.

iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac OS X (10.4.8)

iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 27, 2006 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2006 12:38 PM

Hi UncaMikey, Welcome to Apple Discussions.
Why would Search fail while Spotlight seems unaffected?
Because they are controlled by different preferences. Have you tried creating a new account, name it "test" and see how your Search works in that User acct? (That will tell if your problem is systemwide or limited to your User acct.) This account is just for test, do nothing further with it.

Open System Preferences >> Accounts >> "+" make it an admin account.

Let us know and we'll troubleshoot this further.

User uploaded file
-mj
macjack@gmail.com
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2006 12:38 PM in response to mwegner

Hi UncaMikey, Welcome to Apple Discussions.
Why would Search fail while Spotlight seems unaffected?
Because they are controlled by different preferences. Have you tried creating a new account, name it "test" and see how your Search works in that User acct? (That will tell if your problem is systemwide or limited to your User acct.) This account is just for test, do nothing further with it.

Open System Preferences >> Accounts >> "+" make it an admin account.

Let us know and we'll troubleshoot this further.

User uploaded file
-mj
macjack@gmail.com

Finder search not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.