Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic crashes iTunes

My iPod Classic will no longer connect to my iTunes.When I plug it in, the iPod shows up on my desktop, but it does not connect to iTunes. In fact, it crashes iTunes. I tried connecting on another computer, and it crashed iTunes on that computer as well. Both machines (iMacs) have the latest OSX 10.11.13. So I got online to see if I could fix the problem. I learned that it could be my iPod has bad sectors. The recommendation as to go into Disk Mode. I did. Now my iPod is stuck in Disk Mode. Please help!!!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Mar 19, 2016 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2016 11:58 PM

This problem may be caused by a faulty hard drive in iPod.

NOTE: To take the iPod out of Disk Mode, you do a Reset (restart)

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

What happens when you connect the iPod to your Mac running iTunes, while it is in Disk Mode?

7 replies

Apr 5, 2016 11:58 PM in response to m00n7urtle

If possible, try a different USB docking cable, to rule out faulty cable as the reason for not connecting.

I tried connecting while in disk mode, but nothing happened.

So, when connected in "normal" mode, iTunes crashes. But if it's in Disk Mode, there is no reaction from iTunes (and it does not crash)?

As a test, shut down (power off) the Mac and disconnect all USB devices. You can leave standard USB keyboard/mouse connected, if used. Do a Reset (restart) on the iPod.

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

Start up Mac, run iTunes, and connect iPod to a direct USB port on the Mac, by itself. Try more than one USB port. You can also connect the iPod in Disk Mode. Is there any difference from when you tried this previously?

Apr 4, 2016 10:44 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Okay, I did all that and still not working.

I don't think it is a faulty cable because the iPod shows up on the desk top. It just will not show up in iTunes.

I tried a different USB port. iPod shows up on desk top, but not iTunes.

I even tried to go to Disk Mode while connected to the computer. I got this message:

iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPod. Go to the Summary tab in iPod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings.

How do I get to iPod preferences? I've had to restore the iPod a couple of times before through iTunes, but I have no idea what to do now that I can connect to iTunes.

Apr 4, 2016 10:57 PM in response to m00n7urtle

I even tried to go to Disk Mode while connected to the computer. I got this message...

Well, that's not "nothing happens"... 🙂 iTunes IS recognizing the iPod. It should appear in iTunes, if you get that message.

The Restore button is on the iPod's Summary settings screen in iTunes. In the current version of iTunes, the iPod appears as a small device button on the horizontal bar in iTunes. Here's a screen shot of my iTunes window (upper left corner) with an iPod connected. The device button is circled in red.

User uploaded file

Click the device button to show the iPod's settings screen in iTunes. Along the left side (in the sidebar), it should initially have Summary selected under Settings. The Restore button is to the right.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

iPod Classic crashes iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.