Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keys on my keyboard aren't working

A few of the keys on my laptop aren't working. I did the apple hardware test and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I also followed the http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1381page and there was no change. I took a few of the keys off and cleaned it, still no change. However the Keyboard Viewer does work. Not sure of what to do, please help. The keys that are not working are: "9", "o", "l", ".", up and down key.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.11.3

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2016 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 9:46 AM

Hi!

I did the latest update to 10.11.4 last night and I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) but I have similar problems except I get two letters instead of one for example: e is ew, s = ds & d= ds, 2= 23 3= 23, c = cx x=cx very frustrating!! Also nothing has fixed this for me either!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2016 9:46 AM in response to emilyrmcp

Hi!

I did the latest update to 10.11.4 last night and I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) but I have similar problems except I get two letters instead of one for example: e is ew, s = ds & d= ds, 2= 23 3= 23, c = cx x=cx very frustrating!! Also nothing has fixed this for me either!

May 10, 2016 2:03 AM in response to emilyrmcp

I am having this frustrating problem too!
I cleaned my macbook pro mid-2012 13" and installed an SSD. But once i rebooted it some of the keys were not working.
I've had this going on ever since... The followign keys dont work:

r i o ]

g l

top arrow, lower arrow

Listed them based on their position. But i can see a connect with yours and if u look at the membrane connection u see that 9 is connected to i,o,l, and .

I suspected that the keyboard ribbon cable may have been damaged, but now i am not sure whats going on..
Have you had it fixed or did u find any solution??

Also: my g-key is sometimes working and in fact if i press the fn-key i get a g for some reason.. also as of today, when i press f, i get fg
same with d - i get dg dg and sgsgs and agaga

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 12, 2016 5:18 AM in response to emilyrmcp

What is this?

Today some of my MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch Late 2013 keys stopped working too. "9", "o", "l", ".", "\", "arrow up" and "arrow down".

Same keys!

And I didn't spill anything or whatever. What is this, Apple?

Pretty sure it is hardware problem, cause in Bootcamp Windows keys doesn't work either. And any mac repair is so expensive!

I think this is an example of bad engineering.

Aug 15, 2016 11:53 PM in response to Vslow

Did anyone find a fix for this????? I just started having the same problem but with 7, u, j, m, and ;

When I use the keyboard viewer, or hold the keys long enough in textedit, I get strange things. "J" turns the keyboard into all symbols or types a triangle followed by a heiroglyph. "M" minimizes any open window or types a bold italic z. "U" turns the keyboard un viwer to caps and types a q. ";" changes the volume or types -/ and 7 shows as 789 on the viewer but types 12345.

Please help!!!!!!!

If so many people have the same problem, maybe apple should help.

Aug 22, 2016 1:07 PM in response to emilyrmcp

I had the same issue too. Here's how I solved it.

For starters Apple support will tell you this is a hardware problem. That is correct, but its not a difficult one to solve. I tried the PRAM reset and also the SMC reset. Neither did anything. Apple recommended I go in to their genius bar to fix it. I live way too far away from the nearest store so that was too expensive. Instead, I read up online and decided to buy a pentalobe/5 star screwdriver along with a multi-tip screwdriver kit. I opened my case (warning don't do this if you are still under warranty---apple may void your warranty if you leave visible damage from removing screws) and made sure to push every cord in its socket firmly. I then unscrewed, lifted up, and blew out dust from under my battery. I put all my screws back in, and VOILA! all my keys are working again. Apparently a small drop (even if its in a case/bag) can dislodge the cables or put too much pressure on them.

If you can't do any of the above, please just use a bluetooth keyboard until you can meet with the genius bar.

Hope this helps!

Aug 30, 2016 7:14 AM in response to TheBrightSkys

I just had to have my keyboard and logic board replaced for the 7, u, j, m, ; and \ keys not working....

There seemed to be no other options but if many users are having the same keys go it seems like an Apple problem. Speak with them nicely and you may get a one-time customer service/appreciation freebie, even if beyond warranty, etc. It took 10 days for the parts to arrive at my local Apple repairer, but they gave me a loaner with my harddrive in-between.

I received excellent service on this issue from Apple and my local shop. It still *****, but it how it is.

Good luck to everyone, I am not sure what else may work. Mine was a built-in keyboard, but my external still worked.

Aug 30, 2016 7:16 AM in response to JosueMikado

You likely have an older MacBook with screws? The newer ones can't be opened up, something that frustrates us old Mac-users who used to be able to open up any machine and fix it yourself. Glad it worked for you, but the news ones don't even have a battery you can access! Also watch out for the batteries on older models, they can overheat, melt and set your house on fire (almost happened to me with my old macbook).

Keys on my keyboard aren't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.