Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing with multiple credit cards

If I set up family sharing for my iPhone and my 2 kids iPads (with 3 different apple-id's), would it be possible that purchases for me (on my apple-id) is paid by one credit card, and the kids purchases (with permission from me each time) is paid from another registered credit card?

The thing is I want to have my personal purchases on my personal credit card, and the family purchases on our family credit card.

The only thing I've seen so far, is that all purchases can be paid from my credit card (the family sharing administrators apple-id), but this is not what I want.

Posted on Mar 20, 2016 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 3:11 PM

Me and my husband just started using family share to share the music that we purchased, I wasn't aware of the one-credit-card-only issue until I got the receipt of his monthly subscription charged on my credit card. What kind of crap is this? We are all adults and we purchase things with our own credit cards, why can't Apple allow multiple billing methods under one family?

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2018 3:11 PM in response to snabelars

Me and my husband just started using family share to share the music that we purchased, I wasn't aware of the one-credit-card-only issue until I got the receipt of his monthly subscription charged on my credit card. What kind of crap is this? We are all adults and we purchase things with our own credit cards, why can't Apple allow multiple billing methods under one family?

Nov 7, 2017 8:12 PM in response to snabelars

I agree 100%. I am so annoyed by this. I have family share and we are all adults, not children. My mom put her card as the main card but she doesn't want me buying tons of stuff on her card, but we all still wanna share all the purchases. very frustrating especially since there are lots of apps that require you to subscribe monthly or annually, so it's not even a one time purchase.

Mar 1, 2018 10:52 AM in response to MimiGardner

MimiGardner

It would b nice to control adult purchases too. My account has gone negative from other family purchase.... very upse

The best way to control other adult family members from overdrawing your account is to insist that they keep an iTunes Gift Card balance on their iTunes account at all times. If they fail to do that, and continue to take advantage of charges going directly to you, then you can remove them from the family.

Best of luck,

GB

Nov 25, 2017 6:18 PM in response to ZoeLyons

I am also struggling with this dilemma . My sisters and I are all adults, yet only one credit card is billed. We can deal with only one person receiving the receipts, but having one credit card on file is a significant enough reason to keep my two sisters from purchasing anything. No one wants to purchase gift cards in order to purchase a movie.

Feb 9, 2018 3:21 PM in response to FishieCaviar

What subscription are you referring to? If you want new purchases to be charged to individual Family members, you need to apply an iTunes Gift Card to each Apple ID that is not the Organizer so that the purchase amount will be taken from the iTunes Gift Card balance.

And if you don't like the way Apple has designed Family Sharing, you can share your thoughts with Apple here: Apple - Feedback

We can't answer your question not only because it is against the TOU of this forum, but because we are just users like you, and we have no more information on why Apple makes the decisions it does than you do.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 9, 2018 5:15 PM in response to FishieCaviar

Perhaps it would help if you read the information supplied by Apple regarding Family Sharing:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Before you sign up for services, it is always a good idea to read whatever is available about that service so that you understand the way it works. This is how Family Sharing works. You can let Apple know what you think here: Apple - Feedback

GB

Feb 9, 2018 4:18 PM in response to FishieCaviar

Yes, that would be normal. Your gift card balance will not be charged unless it is your Apple ID making a purchase. I mean, you wouldn't want Apple to add insult to injury by decreasing the value of a gift would you? Any purchase made by a Family Sharing member will be charged to your Credit Card unless they have an iTunes Gift Card balance.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 1, 2018 12:45 PM in response to Dejaliyah

Dejaliyah wrote:

and then you lose access to all the stuff they purchased on their account EVEN IF YOU'RE THE ONE WHO PAID FOR IT.

Apple really needs to come up with a new solution and let people pay for their own sh*t and still be able to share it.

The purchases made by the Family member's are owned by that Family Member's Apple account, correct.

And, I have already explained a very simple way for you to work with those grownups, and set it up so they pay for their own purchases. For that particular group, the point is to share as much music between you as possible.

You need to try using Family Sharing for the purpose it was intended - for families (particularly families with younger kids) to be able to share purchases with eachother, have control over what the children purchased, have the ability to create a Family Calendar and Family Photo Album, and keep track of eachother via the Find My Friends app.

If your one criteria was to be able to share your music with a bunch of friends, but have them in no other way related to you, then, sorry, but you picked the wrong service for what you want to do.

Why not all subscribe to Apple Music? Then you can all have your own accounts, and share as much stuff between you as you want (and no, I don't mean Apple Music under Family Sharing).

Cheers,

GB

Mar 1, 2018 12:54 PM in response to gail from maine

What you said makes sense.

I see that it seems to work best with Parents and small kids vs grownup families. I use it with my family but we are all grownups so I guess the Family Share name was a bit misleading for me anyway since it doesn't work well with grownups. I use it with my mom but I don't want her paying for my purchases and vice versa. Perhaps the name Family share is what is misleading to everyone. it should just be called KIDS SHARE LOL. I also use my Apple ID to purchase business related apps for my computer which can cost $30 and way up, so it's a bummer she had to pay for it and I had to pay her back or go bu ya gift card. So yes, it doesn't work well between grown-ups honestly and they should just change the name because people are trying to share it with their FAMILIES which include grownups. So to me, the whole confusion is all in the name.

FYI i personally don't like or use apple music because I like to own my music and when I had it, it wasn't letting me purchase music and it wasn't syncing right between my devices so I just stick to buying my music now. I use family sharing mostly for apps / games between family.

Thanks GB!

family sharing with multiple credit cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.