Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update from 10.4.11

Trying to update my Mom's computer but her operating system is only at 10.4.11. She has an iMac 5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo. How do I know how far I can jump with an update? Also, how do I get to the download?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Email attachments are now embedded?

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 5:11 AM

4 replies

Mar 21, 2016 6:28 AM in response to mbh209

mbh209 wrote:

She has an iMac 5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo. How do I know how far I can jump with an update?

According to MacTracker, the max OS version for that model is 10.7.5 (last version of Lion).

As best as I can recall, the free versions of base OS X versions did not start until later, perhaps v. 10.9 (Mavericks). Although the on-line Apple Store no longer offers 10.7 Lion, you might try giving the Apple Store a phone call - sometimes that path can access older stuff. Otherwise, do an on-line search for it.

Mar 24, 2016 5:09 AM in response to mbh209

If she can only go as far as Lion, she might be advised to stop at Snow Leopard (10.6). Lion is one of the worst, most buggy forms of the OS that Apple ever released. Your mum would find enough changes and improvement with 10.6 (Time Machine, Spaces, QuickLook, vastly improved Preview, App Store, iLife 9, etc, plus Rosetta so she can run all her PPC apps) to keep her happy.

Mar 24, 2016 6:43 AM in response to christopher rigby1

christopher rigby1 wrote:

Lion is one of the worst, most buggy forms of the OS that Apple ever released.

WADR: I think that many others here on this forum do not agree with that assessment of Lion, although some do.

Anecdotally, I have been using Lion almost exclusively since I purchased my 2011 Mac Mini in the Fall of 2011. During this time I have been happy to use Lion and I continue to "dual-boot" back into Lion for most of my work on this Mac after booting Snow Leopard, Yosemite or El Capitan, as needed for a specific purpose.

Previously, I have been advised by one or two others on this forum to upgrade my Lion partition to Mountain Lion, but until today, I found no reason to do so.

Now I am having Time Machine problems which I recently implemented, when I am in Lion; it is working in El Capitan. Since I cannot discover the reason for the Time Machine failures at this time otherwise, I have cloned my Lion partition and have ordered Mountain Lion to then install and see if it solves the Time Machine problem. If this corrects the problem, I will then keep the Mountain Lion upgrade.

christopher rigby1 wrote:

Your mum would find enough changes and improvement with 10.6 (Time Machine, Spaces, QuickLook, vastly improved Preview, App Store, iLife 9, etc, plus Rosetta so she can run all her PPC apps) to keep her happy.

Of course, if needed, iCloud is not available in Snow Leopard. She will need Lion.

Update from 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.