Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any Gov Employees Using "PIV Card" Readers?

Greetings All-

I know there are many Govt employees here who have been allowed to "Telework" from home and use their Personally Owned Equipment (POE) versus having a Govt Laptop assigned to them -which would entail using a Card Reader so that they could use their PIV Card to plug into one of the USB Ports off it.

However, those of use using any Mac / Apple products as our equipment face a challenge of the Govt Card Readers NOT being recognized on our Mac Devices, thus we (In My Govt Organization anyway) must utilize whats called "MobilePass Tokens" which are obtained from an app downloaded from our App Store. These are used along with our normal Login User Id & Password too.

BTW- I am using a Citrix / CAG VPN to access the Gov Agency (Non Classified obviously!) and would rather use the PIV Reader.

My questions is : Does anyone know of any hardware that can be used to read these PIV Cards - OR software to enable an external Card Reader to be recognized on a Mac Device for the purpose of reading a PIV for this "Dual Authentication" system?

NOTE: I know there are some out there to read "CAC" Cards but these are NOT the same as "PIV" Cards folks.

(I Tried that route already) ***Also- if posted in wrong forum - please move if necessary as I could not figure out where. Thanks.

Message was edited by: GunnyFitz Added the system used to access Gov Outlook, etc.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Primary Unit

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 2:56 PM

Hi GunnyFitz,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your MacBook Pro. For more information on the current situation with PIV cards on Macs, you may find the following article and link helpful (apologies if you have already seen it):

OS X El Capitan: About smart cards

Regards

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2016 2:56 PM in response to GunnyFitz

Hi GunnyFitz,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your MacBook Pro. For more information on the current situation with PIV cards on Macs, you may find the following article and link helpful (apologies if you have already seen it):

OS X El Capitan: About smart cards

Regards

Mar 28, 2016 3:06 PM in response to brenden dv

To Brenden Dv-

Appreciate the reply and links in attempt to help but after digging deeper into the stuff found it didnt really have my sort of issue at hand buddy.

I did see another member here thread here that was pretty much the same issue I am facing, here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7486782?answerId=29948529022#29948529022

Its so odd that our Macs don't recognize all sorts of Drives when plugged into them via USB. Heck, it won't even recognize my iPhone 6s Plus!

(If anyone could submit a link to rectify this problem here Id be VERY grateful - though Im sure they are everywhere for sure!)

I guess I will just have to use the "MobilePass" authentication system to log into my account. THANK YOU ALL !!

Any Gov Employees Using "PIV Card" Readers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.