Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mid-2012 Mac Pro will chime but won't boot.

My mid-2012 Mac Pro will start up andchime but won't boot. Apple would not allow me to get a warranty protection. I've unplugged everything. Attempted a restart. Won't even let me boot my recovery drive. Is it the power supply?

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 9:06 AM

6 replies

Mar 21, 2016 10:01 AM in response to Margaret A Miller

Do you have another Mac? If so you can connect the two via FireWire and boot the 2102 MP in Target Disk Mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

and see if you can access the disk I the 2012 MP

Try reseating the graphics card and the power supply connection (both ends) form the AUX connector on the logic board to the graphics card.

Does the fan on the graphics card work smoothly?

Maybe a bad graphics card.

Mar 21, 2016 10:32 AM in response to Margaret A Miller

persistent vertical lines are an indication that the display RAM on the graphics card has failed.

It may be time for a new Graphics card. this article points out the pitfalls and restrictions, but there are a few more cards available at the high end now:

User Tip: Mac Pro silver tower (2006-2012) Replacement Graphics cards

My mid-2012 Mac Pro will chime but won't boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.