Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing footage from DCR-TRV840 NTSC

I'm not sure where to post this. I have an old Sony DCR-TRV840 NTSC with hours and hours of footage on digital 8 tapes. We have a very old white 13 inch macbook from 2008 in which we could install Final Cut HD onto. We have two newer macbook pro's, one of which has Final Cut X on it. What is the best option for me to try to import all of this footage before my camera breaks (the door is already pretty funky)? It appears that this camera is not supported on Final Cut X, correct? Should we import via the old computer onto an external drive (hoping that either computer or camera don't die on us?) Can we import to imovie or iphoto? Does it matter where I import as far as the codec goes (I don't totally understand this, but I obviously don't want my clips encoded in the most up to date way)? Please advise, I am lost here as to what to do.

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 10:10 AM

4 replies

Apr 2, 2016 2:50 PM in response to jennicaz

Capture your DV footage in either FCE HD or FCP-X using the appropriate matching (DV) easy setup/sequence settings in the app. Also, as Alchroma said earlier, use a non-controlled easy setup because D8 cams cannot be controlled by Final Cut (you will have to capture manually).

Also, before capturing, make sure your easy setup expects the same audio rate that you recorded in your camera ... hopefully you filmed using 48KHz audio but many D8/miniDV cams had a default setting of 32KHz and users didn't know to change this before filming. (Just make sure the audio rate matches what your camera recorded regardless of whether they are 48KHz or 32KHz ... if they don't match, over longer clips the audio will drift out of sync.) This will yield QT files at resolution matching what was recorded on the tape and be editable in almost any video app.

DO NOT use iMovie or iPhoto to capture DV footage - depending on the version, they can do funky things with DV video.

Importing footage from DCR-TRV840 NTSC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.