Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting repeat email (no sender)(no subject, dated 12/31/69 and cannot delete. Help.

I pod touch, version 6.1.6, capacity 6.4 gb. Getting repeat email messages of (no sender) (no message), dated 12/31/69. Cannot delete. Plugging up my in box. Help.

Jense14

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Mar 21, 2016 8:54 PM

3 replies

Mar 22, 2016 12:39 AM in response to Jense14

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Aug 13, 2016 8:53 AM in response to lllaass

I had this happen to me, on an iPhone 6SE, as a result of downloaded about 200 emails, while my email server was off line for a while. Clearly, these are bogus emails and it indicated a corruption the index to the email database. However, the fix is a simple as turning off the phone and turning it back on (at least in my case).

The concern I have with the fix, above, is that it goes too far. You probably won't have to RESET all of your phone settings. Also, the solution suggests that you can find out which email account has the phantom emails, but I was not able to find them in any of the individual account inboxes, only when I looked at all the emails.

iPhone 6SE 16GB (two weeks old)

IOS 9.3.3 (most current, as of today Aug 14, 2016)

4 POP accounts (10,000 emails, all in Folders, less than 40 in the inbox)

1 Gmail

1 iCloud

Aug 13, 2016 8:57 AM in response to Jense14

I think what you are describing are "phantom emails".

They don't exist, but each has "no sender" "no subject" and no way to look at any part of the email.

It seems to be a simple corruption of the Mail settings, which is often fixed by power cycling the phone off and back on again. (Holding the side button until the SHUTDOWN slider appears. Then restart the phone hitting the same button briefly.)

Again, I don't recommend the full RESET and restore from backup, unless the hard boot doesn't work.

getting repeat email (no sender)(no subject, dated 12/31/69 and cannot delete. Help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.