Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Belgian Azerty keyboard has 2 keys swapped in Boot Camp

Hi,

One of my customers just migrated to Apple equipment. As they have legacy Windows apps, they asked to have Boot Camp installed on their machines.

They have the latest MacBook Pro (1 month old) and have the Magic Keyboard 2, Magic Mouse 2 and the Thunderbolt displays to create their office setups.

Boot Camp is running Windows 10 Pro.

The keyboards in the MacBook Pro's and the external Magic Keyboard 2's are Azerty, the layout is as shown below.

User uploaded file

In Mac OS X, all keys are mapped according to this layout.

In Boot Camp Windows 10 Pro, it turns out that 2 keys have been swapped.

When I look at the settings, it states that the Apple Keyboard driver is being used.

Is there anything that we're overlooking ? Should I be using another keyboard layout ?

How can I correct this without using programs that re-map keys ?

Thanks,

Mario

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 5:13 AM

15 replies

Mar 23, 2016 6:09 AM in response to Loner T

Hi,

Yes I did see the other post that was linked to.

I believe this can be resolved by using an alternative keyboard layout (like to avoid the registry approach).

My customer will be able to grant me remote access to their machines tomorrow lunchtime (CET).

I should then be able to take a screenshot of what is currently configured.

Thanks,

Mario

Mar 24, 2016 9:00 AM in response to Loner T

Hi,

I have been able to create screenshots today of the settings they are using:

Below is a photo of their AZERTY keyboard:

User uploaded file

These are the current settings they have in their Windows 10 Pro which results in these 2 keys being swapped:

User uploaded file

When I click on Options in the above screenshot:

User uploaded file

To me the proper keyboard has been selected (Belgian (Apple)).

I have tried other AZERTY keyboards, but not of them do the trick: when they type the @ sign, they get <.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Mario

Mar 24, 2016 12:00 PM in response to Loner T

Strange enough, the Magic Keyboards have a perfect match under OS X - all keys are how they are physically positioned on the keyboards.

Also: the internal azerty keyboard in their MacBook Pros is functioning perfectly under Windows 10 Pro - no swapped keys at all

So what they initially ended up doing was typing the @-sign on the MBP's keyboard while typing the rest of the mail addresses on their external Magic Keyboards. Now they know that those 2 keys are swapped and they are getting used to that... however, I personally feel it's a job half done with those 2 keys not being mapped correctly.

I'm using a US International keyboard layout on all my personal machines (including a MacBook Pro w/ Boot Camp and Windows 7 Pro) which is not usual for Belgium, but I have never had any issues of this sort...

Mar 25, 2016 9:28 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

It is, isn't it...

I contacted Apple support, hoping they might have seen this before...

I was told to get in touch with Microsoft.

That sounds strange to me as everything is Apple related: MacBook Pro, Magic Keyboard 2 is Apple hardware, BootCamp is Apple software, keyboard driver is made by Apple (I believe)...

I think I will try my luck by going to one of the local Apple shops over here and see if they ever saw this before.

(Did I mention that this problem occurs on all 3 setups that my customer bought... ?)

Aug 22, 2016 8:40 AM in response to mbraeke1

You've solved my problem.

I guess it has something to do with the apple keyboard mapping.

The keys are also switched when I enable Filevault and reboot. On the pre-login screen (EFI I assume) with "Belgisch" chosen from the input menu. When I choose "USA international pc" the keys are correct.

On the OS X login screen, the keys aren't switched. So when you use a password with one or more characters on those keys, you have to use a different key according to the way you're have booted ... a little awkward / annoying ...

Belgian Azerty keyboard has 2 keys swapped in Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.