Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarting my secondhand iMac problems

I managed to buy an old iMac, roughly from 2010, and had to clear out the old users stuff and wanted to start it up fresh. I followed instructions to shut the computer down and using the command R to restart it, erased the hard drive or whatever, which i did with no dramas but then I went to install the OS X Lion again and it required me to enter an Apple ID. I created one earlier so I used that, but it wouldn't accept it because i had 'nothing purchased' from the Apple Store. Frustrated, I turned the computer off thinking i would start fresh the next day, but when i restarted it, it says "Starting internet recovery" and has been doing so for quite a while now.

I don't know what i should do at this point. How can I continue to get this resolved as i would love to start using it!

Cheers.

iMac

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 4:00 AM

4 replies

Mar 22, 2016 4:06 AM in response to katiebkatieb

OS X Internet Recovery

Newer Macs include the ability to start up directly from an Internet-based version OS X Recovery. Your Mac automatically uses this feature when the Recovery System on the startup drive isn't available. For example, if your startup drive encounters an issue, or if your startup drive has been replaced or erased. Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's servers. Starting up from this system performs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to check for hardware issues.

Internet Recovery initially asks you to select a Wi-Fi network and enter a network password when needed. Next, Internet Recovery downloads and starts from a Recovery System image. From there, you are offered the same utilities and options as the Recovery System on a startup drive.

Internet recovery will install the original version of OS X that the Mac shipped with, make sure it has access to a wireless network and let it do it's thing. How long it takes depends on your internet speed

Mar 22, 2016 4:31 AM in response to katiebkatieb

You will need to get the original OS X installation disks from the person you purchased

the iMac from. The reason is that the 2010 iMac shipped with OS X 10.6.x. Actually,

based on the licensing agreement, the seller should have wiped the iMac and re-installed

its original OS before selling it.

In order for you to update to any later system of OS X, you need to have 10.6.8 installed

and the upgrade needs to be done using your Apple ID. If you are unable to get the installation

disks, you will need to purchase OS X 10.6.8 here:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

The cost will be $20.

You can then upgrade with the iMac associated with your Apple ID.

Mar 22, 2016 8:52 AM in response to katiebkatieb

Some 2010-2011 models shipped with OS X 10.6 and received a firmware update after 10.7 was released, enabling them to use Internet Recovery. If you have one of those models, you can't reinstall 10.6 even from the original media, and Internet Recovery will not work either without the original owner's Apple ID. In that case, contact Apple Support, or take the machine to an Apple Store or another authorized service provider to have the OS installed.

Restarting my secondhand iMac problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.