Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safe Boot didn't fix El Capitan 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 startup freeze

Normal startup after the update to Internal boot partition gave me an incomplete progress bar. Safe boot presents the login screen, but after I enter the password, the freeze occurs with the indeterminant progress indicator beneath the login name. I already booted from an external boot volume clone and upgraded it from Yosemite to El Capitan using the 10.11.4 installer. Then I booted from that and used it to install the 10.11.4 combo update to the internal boot volume. That resulted in the same startup freeze. I don't think I'll have any choice but to try an in-place install of 10.11.4. Any other ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Mar 22, 2016 12:00 PM

8 replies

Mar 22, 2016 4:15 PM in response to Goxlet

I had already tried resetting NVRAM and SMC. It turned out that the update to 10.11.4 didn't like my primary user account. I discovered this by successfully logging in as system administrator (root) while in Safe Boot mode. Root was already enabled using Directory Services.app (/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/). I needed to migrate my home folder to a new account (salute to Charled Wiltgen). I logged in as root, then created a new user in Users and Groups prefpane. Then I used a combination of Terminal commands and the UI to replace the new user's home folder with the one I had used for the account into which I could not log in. This explanation may risk over-simplification, but what I did was this. While logged in as root, I deleted the former user in Users and Groups leaving the home folder unchanged, deleted the new user's home folder, used the "mv" command to change the name of the old home folder to the name of the new user's home folder, then used a command something like "chown -R new-user-name /Users/new-user-name" to give the new user permissions to the stuff in the old folder. Then I was able to log in and use my stuff. I didn't worry too much about persistent caches, so I have a bit of cleaning up to do, but the old stuff is where it should be now and everything seems to be working.

Mar 23, 2016 8:26 AM in response to Goxlet

Similarly, my 27" 2010 (or 2011?) iMac freezes at the install bar after restarting following installation of 10.11.4 upgrade. Rebooting in safe mode and zapping pram nil effect. Hooked up to another laptop via Thunderbolt bridge and before I could even open Disk Utility, the Finder generated a dialogue box stating that the disk cannot be repaired, and that I need to back up and reformat. I ran Disk Utility anyway and it told me the same thing. I have access to files, but the iMac is no longer a bootable system.

Since I have a recent TimeCapsule backup I am about to erase and reformat unless someone else has discovered a way to undo whatever damage the update has wrought.

May 20, 2016 11:59 AM in response to engrav

I had a similar problem when I updated to 10.11.5, except that instead of halting or freezing entirely, the message "lsd quit unexpectedly" (lsd presumably being an acronym for Launch Services Daemon) appeared repeatedly after being dismissed, and the system became so sluggish that it couldn't be used. Safe boot didn't fix that either, but I was able to fix it by deleting the contents of /var/folders. I probably could have determined a more precise cause, but a quick search didn't reveal anything, so I discovered the remedy by performing some basic recovery steps. I don't like deleting the contents of /var/folders, but for me, the only serious data loss caused by doing so is that the Launchpad items get reset. But a quick recovery for that is to navigate to the current temp folder, which can be managed by the AppleScript below, and find the temp folder on a backup, drag the three live Launchpad database items to the trash and copy the backed up versions to the current Launchpad database folder, then log out and back in. Launch Services may also need to be rebuilt using a maintenance app such as Onyx.

set this_user to do shell script "id -un" as string

set i to POSIX file (do shell script "echo $TMPDIR")

set any_target to "db"

tell application "Finder"

set r2 to get container of folder i as alias as string

set f to get container of folder i as alias as string

reveal f & "0:com.apple.dock.launchpad:db:db"

try

activate

update

end try

end tell

Jul 19, 2016 11:02 AM in response to Goxlet

Hang (freeze) occurred after applying 10.11.6 combo update. Safe Boot got me past the Apple logo (auto login was enabled, see note about safe boot mode below), but hang at login screen with perpetual indeterminate progress bar still occurred. Removing all visible contents of /var/folders provided the remedy. Launchpad db needed restoring as discussed in previous post.

Note about entering safe boot. Since Yosemite, entering safe boot mode requires pressing and holding shift when screen first lights, then releasing shift when Apple logo appears.

Safe Boot didn't fix El Capitan 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 startup freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.